Trying To Be Optimistic....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msvateach, Jul 9, 2012.

1. msvateach

msvateach Rookie

Jul 9, 2012

This is my third school year looking for a teaching job. I have a B.A. in English, an elementary teaching license in two states and am one class shy of finishing my masters in elementary ed and reading. I have had five long term sub jobs in grades 1st through K. I feel soooo very very ready to have my own classroom. Honestly it is my dream.

Two weeks ago I had two interviews. The first one the principal did not seem very friendly and I did not get the position.
    The second one went very, very well. I was on cloud nine when I left. They have three open positions and the school is everything I could want in a great teaching opportunity. The principal said they were in the process of getting a new superintendent and they were hoping to let people know about the position in two weeks. She also mentioned they were looking to hire several "newbies" when I asked about the new teacher mentoring program. Later that day the assistant principal called me to ask for the last four digits of one of my references phone numbers (it was cut off when the file was copied). So I know they were calling my references within 2-3 hours of my interview. I sent a handwritten thank you note to both the p and ap who interviewed me. Since then I have heard nothing.
    With the holiday I am hoping maybe I will hear something this week.

I did pretty well not worrying about up until today. I watched the clock hour by hour waiting for a phone call. All of my friends and family know how excited I was about this position. I feel so afraid if I do not get it, to feel defeated and then comes the sympathy. I just want to hide under a rock. :eek:

I've been peace mealing work together for 30 months and I really need a regular income on top of just really being excited about my own classroom. I know there are so many other people who are in the same situation. I just do not know how much longer I can keep looking.

I just feel like everything has gone right for me to get this position but the waiting is driving me crazy. I have been sending out 10-15 applications just incase every couple of days so that has kept me busy.

Good luck to everyone still looking and I hope something positive happens for all of us!!!:):):):):):):):)

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 9, 2012

I'll keep a good thought for you.

4. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jul 10, 2012

Call the school and follow up! Ask where they are in the hiring process. Make sure you're the one they think of when they think of filling those positions!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2012

Good luck!

It's not uncommon for this to take a little longer if they are hiring a new superintendent and with the holiday in the middle of the week.

Can you check old board meetings on-line...watch the video, view the agenda and minutes? Maybe you'll be able to find out if they have hired a new superintendent yet.

6. msvateach

msvateach Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

So no go on the position. Got a rejection letter in the mail today. So far for me thinking the interview went well. Feeling really frustrated!

Everyone tells me that it will happen....

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 11, 2012

I'm so sorry. Most of us have been there. It's not you. It's the economy, as the saying goes. Keep trying!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2012

:hugs: It doesn't mean that you weren't a good candidate, though. Keep your chin up...I know its hard being that you've been at this for 3 years, but the right job is out there for you.

9. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jul 11, 2012

I'm so sorry that you weren't offered the position. I left my last interviewing feeling extremely positive, but received a rejection letter a week later. I agree with what other people are telling you. One day you will be offered a job. :)

10. mommafran

mommafran Companion

Jul 11, 2012

Aghhhhhhhh!! I hate it when that happens. Any chance they would offer some "constructive advice" for future interviews? That way you can nail the next one.

Give yourself a big fat pat in the back for making it that far and keep on keeping on.:)

11. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

That's terrible! I would have thought for sure they were going to make you an offer if they called your references. Do you know for sure that they called them, or could they have just been filling in the missing info?

12. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

I know in my district, in the last few days, there has been a BOOM of positions posting, so it is not too late. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

Very few of my interviews didn't go incredibly well. The truth is there are a lot of exceptionally qualified people available and they interview well as well.

14. shadyleafytree

shadyleafytree Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

I'm sorry to hear that things didn't work out. I have gone through the same thing. I went into an interview last year that was for an ideal position. I love the school, I loved the department head, I loved the teacher sitting in on the interview...everything seemed to be going so well.

They even gave me a tour and I met with the principal and visited classrooms! I was on cloud nine. After the interview I got a call a week later telling me they had a tough choice, but they went with another candidate.

Times are tough and you're not alone in all this frustration. Keep the hope!

15. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 14, 2012

Was this supposed to sound encouraging and/or supportive?