Trying to Avoid a Second Pink Slip Notice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by elateacher4life, Mar 13, 2012.

1. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Mar 13, 2012

Does anyone know the answer to this question. I work in California. I have a temporary contract that ends at the end of the school year. Am I required to be officially notified by March 15th if I am going to be laid off?

3. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Mar 13, 2012

I do not believe so. I believe you can be let go at the end of your contract, at the end of the year. But, I do not know for sure.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2012

I highly suggest reading your contract to see when it says that you must be notified. I don't know if there are any laws stating when you must be notified, but usually your contract will say something about this.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 13, 2012

My contract is up on June 30th, and I believe they do not have to notify me. According to the contract, my position is through that day, after that they have not made any promises, so there's no need to notify me. Of course my P would do that, but not until that month.

We did receive a hand out at our latest meeting that talked about the budget, and how some hours will be cut and that my position will be eliminated. (this affects another 20+ employees). I am not expecting any kinda notice from them this week, but I do know, that if i get to stay, it will be a miracle.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2012

A temporary contract in my district is for one school year. The contract ends at that time. Plan on it not being renewed so you are prepared. But, also be proactive by making sure your principal submits a request to re-hire you in the fall. It might sway the districts decision whether or not to renew you contract.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2012

It is definitely always better to plan on not having a job and pleasantly find out that you have one then the other way around.

8. FunTwoTeach

FunTwoTeach Rookie

Mar 14, 2012

Since your contract has an end date, I don't believe they have to. However, I think a lot of districts still go through that process with anyone being laid off, just to cover their bases. But honestly, I would count on not having your job unless you receive something in writing saying you DO have it.
    I was on a temporary contract two years ago after being a probationary employee that was laid off. When the official pink slips went out I didn't get one, but I got a letter from the district reminding me that my temporary contract would end and that I still had rights to the priority sub list, but no guarantee of returning full time.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 14, 2012

We had a site meeting today, and the budget was discussed. The P announced exactly how many teachers got pink slips, and that my position will no longer be there after July 1st. In my region I am the only one with this temp. teaching position. So there it is, for sure I will be gone on June 30th. It was kinda weird hearing the P talk about it matter of factly, focusing on what to do with my classes after I'm gone, etc. etc, but is there another way to announce it? nope. I already knew this, so this was just a cold, harsh confirmation.
    My position actually won't even be filled by laid off teachers, which will make the other teachers' job harder. (they'll have to share my students). But this also means that there's definitely no hope for me to somehow keep this position. :((

10. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Mar 17, 2012

If you have a temporary contract, the district does not need to notify you by March 15th. They can just decide if they want to offer you another contract or not. If they are laying off permanent teachers in the same subject area, they probably cannot offer you a new contract until laid off teachers are all offered their jobs back. At least, that's how it works in my California district.

When we look at the numbers of teachers to be laid off, those are only teachers on permanent or probationary status. It is assumed that all the temporary teachers will not be hired back, so they aren't counted in the numbers. Their names aren't even on the layoff list.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 17, 2012

I just received a letter in the mail from the district office reminding me that my temp. contract will end on June 30th. They didn't do this in January, when my contract was up.
    I didn't expect them to do this, but they went above and beyond.
    Also, my district is holding several session of Q and A about the budget; they're offering this to make sure the teachers stay informed. I think that's nice. Everyone is invited, if we can't make it, we can send questions and they'll get back to us. I think this is nice. Do other districts do this?

12. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Mar 21, 2012

Just an update- I did receive the notification on March 16th that I will be laid off.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2012

So sorry to hear that, hopefully another contract comes your way soon.