Trying not to freak out to badly

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yarnwoman, Aug 8, 2012.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 8, 2012

But the rumor mill is driving me crazy! I am frustrated because the rumor mill is saying things that are different from how I read the room set up directions. Here is what I know as fact.

Last year after the fire marshal came through we were told we had to take down anything that did not tie into our curriculum (ie no cute poster about reading or turning in homework). I was ok with that mainly because after following directions for where the student work wall was and where the mandatory school posting had to be there was not a lot of wall space left.

Now this year the room set up sheet says that our walls need to be free of anything not related to the curriculum and not be cluttered. It also says our rooms need to be free from clutter and personal items.

The rumor mill is saying that this years directions mean that we cannot have anything cute (i.e. say you have always collected teddy bears and kids bring them to you. well this year you would have to leave them at home). They have even gone so far as to say that what admin meant was that all of our bulletin boards and student work displays must be either patriotic(admins choice) or somehow reflective of the history we teach - so no polka dots or frogs or stars etc. The rumor mill is also saying we will not be able to have family pics in our rooms.

I am wondering is this the same in other schools??????

3. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 8, 2012

I teach high school, and we don't have any regulations regarding room decorations/appearance. A good friend who teaches elementary school in my district doesn't have any restrictions like that, either.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 8, 2012

We are having a crackdown on clutter-but for us it means like loose papers, we are no longer allowed to store like boxes or bins on top of cabinets. I can't imagine not allowing you to have family pics displayed.

Our fire marshal says a certain percentage-I can't remember it off the top of my head-of wall space has to be uncovered and we can't hang anything from the ceiling.

Can you get the straight answer from your admin?

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2012

We don't have any regulations. There are certain things we have to have up, but nothing that we can't have up. I never realized how lucky I was until I started reading all the posts here. I hope it doesn't change! I always hang up a ton of pictures from field trips and science experiments and decorate for the holidays.

6. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 8, 2012

We cannot even hangup student work or pics of field trips except of those students whose parents signed the releases

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 8, 2012

I would ignore the rumors and ask whoever is in charge for guidance.

8. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 8, 2012

Hopefully admin will clear this up! I have not changed anything from last year and read this years directions which to me sound the same as last year so I guess I will see tomorrow when I had planned on going in and working on lesson plans etc for the first week.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2012

Wow. That sounds drastic. We have the regulations with a certain percentage that cover the walls. We cannot have rugs on the floor (I used to) or electric lamps (though I may make a battery-powered lamp where I put one of those battery-powered click lights inside a lampshade).

Thinking about my room, my theme has always been travel and space-themed. However, I have some cute elements. I have pictures of my students from over the years as well as some photos of my life. My stuffed friends and photos are in my middle office.

I would speak with the principal.

10. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 8, 2012

I am trying to! Honestly I am. But the person with the rumor seemed to have inside knowledge last year.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 8, 2012

I agree, no freaking out until someone in charge actually says something. We're supposed to have "what we're learning" on the walls and not "cutesy stuff", which I personally agree with anyway. I know teachers have some little "cutesy" things that are okay so it's not super strict. I have some little things for many of the holidays that I normally put out, but I'm going to wait and make sure it's okay first. My last school went all out and even put christmas trees up for christmas, but I know that 's not the norm for sure.

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2012

We can't have anything hanging from the ceiling, or anything on the wall within 18 inches of the ceiling. We also can't have anything on the doors. We didn't know this until probably halfway into the first quarter last year. All of a sudden the fire marshall and admins were cracking down. I was mad because I had some pretty unique decorations I had to take down. I have been in the district for 5 years, and student taught here before that and no one had ever said anything. I would have never put it up if I would have know it was against the rules.

13. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 8, 2012

I think that is what is bothering me most! If it is true why not just tell us all up front. They already sent out the guidelines to follow. I understand you said no personal belongings but really? I mean if I took home everything in my classroom that belonged to me I would not have a classroom library, some math manipulatives, resource books, etc. If the rumors are true and they do not want us to have any personal belongings at school part of me says bring everything I bought with my own money home. :whistle:

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2012

Wow, I thought our fire marshal was harsh!

Ours is similar to cheeryteachers - nothing from the ceiling, nothing within 18 inches of the ceiling, nothing on doors or windows. Add in admin: no outside furniture or appliances of any kind (excepting a reading lamp and radio).

If I had to bring home ALL of my personal belongings, the only things left would be the textbooks, a tape dispenser, and the pencil sharpener.

15. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 9, 2012

Ah the rumor mill, second only to the puppy mill in turns of lives it ruins. Leave it to beaver, and ask the man in charge!

16. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL OF YOUR ADVICE!!!

Went in today and spoke with the P rumor mill was correct. There are only certain borders that we can put up this year and have no "cute decorations" up. So my duck collection that has been given to me by students over the years I have been at the school had to go home as did my elephant that had a "cute" story about eating your elephant. They did allow me to keep my two beanie bears that are patriotic. But my theme for cubbies, desks, schedule, calendar, etc was not approved as meeting with the mission of the school. So I spent the morning loading up the car and bringing all that home. This afternoon I will redo all my classroom stuff and then guess I need to go in and change my website to pictures that meet the school mission. I just keep repeating dory from nemo - "Just keep swimming" and my daughters favorite quote "it is what it is"

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

I once knew a P that came in and set up every single classroom. He put the furniture a certain way, put up the bulletin boards, organized all the books, cubbies, etc. The teachers had absolutely no input into the room. It had to stay that way all year.

At the end of the year, every single classroom teacher asked for a transfer. The school board finally moved him into a district job.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

I strongly disagree with administration allowing only patriotic "decor". And it's all just over the top.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

Pfffffffft, wow.... just wow.... What is their reasoning for this silly rule of only patriotic "decor"?

And does someone know why a % of the classroom walls need to be free from paper/decorations/BB? I'm curious as to how this helps if there is a fire.

20. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

We basically have this as well! Student cubbies are located on one wall and must stay there and teacher desks have been placed and cannot be moved.

21. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

Their reasoning is that we are a school of excellence. Our decor must match the history we teach or the school theme of patriotic. My grade teaches US History.

NOt sure about the % of wall space, just know that when the fire inspector was in my room last year she was checking and rechecking a list and everything in my room. We cannot have scentsy or plug in as well. Her reason for this was they could explode and send oil everywhere causing a fire.

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

We had a P one year who favored covering every inch of wall, door, ceiling, and hallway space. He told us to let him worry about the fire inspector. We were warned when the inspector was coming and we took down just enough to pass inspection, then it went right back up. I love things hanging everywhere, but I was even going crazy with the clutter.

23. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 10, 2012

Ok, redid my room it is a combination of victorian school house and patriotic. Thank you all again for all of your advice.

24. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Aug 10, 2012

That is crazy!!! That principal had waaaaay too much time on their hands, to be setting up all the rooms in a certain way! I would hate that !

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 10, 2012

Isn't it too bad that small things like this can get in the way of teaching?

26. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 10, 2012

For those who were discussing fire code, we also have a percentage of wall and nothing on the ceiling. The health inspector/fire department both deal with clutter. Chicago seemed overly harsh on their fire code when I first began teaching- then I was informed why....

Wikipedia provides enough of a gist, but there are several websites dedicated to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_the_Angels_School_fire

Maybe this is why fire drills freak me out so much.

27. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 10, 2012

I agree once I found out that admin had changed things I fixed my room and can now focus on what is really important-getting ready for those young minds that will soon be entering my classroom door.