Trying hard to keep it together..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lafogosa, Aug 2, 2015.

1. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Aug 2, 2015

I'm going into my ninth year teaching. At the end of the last school year, I was determined to obtain a position outside of the classroom-EIP or ESOL. It looks like I'm back in the classroom and I'm just not excited. That spark just isn't there. The thought of the myriad mandates we have on top of the sheer amount of work it takes to keep a classroom running is stressing me out. I literally have had some heart palpitations just thinking about it. Pre Planning starts tomorrow and I'm going in with a heavy heart. Add to this my principal wants me to be grade level chair. I don't need or want the extra meetings, stress, and responsibilities of that unpaid position. What do you do when you feel yourself in this kind of funk? Please, please give me some suggestions. I'm just not looking forward to this year.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2015

I've had a rough couple of years, so I can sympathize with some of what you are saying. I quit the job making me feel like that; I decided I'd rather take a huge pay cut and sub rather than spend another year like that. Since quitting isn't an option, find something (even outside of work) to be excited about. I know it is hard when you are in that rut. I'm still in my rut, too, because I'm still so focused on the terrible year I had last year. It is hard to just forget it. I mentally think of the pros and cons of teaching. I feel like my pro list never gets longer, only shorter, while my con list seems to grow and grow. But, when things are bad, you also tend to focus on the negative, so I try to curb thinking like that.

As for grade level chair, it was also unpaid at one of my former schools, but I enjoyed it. I do better when I have a leadership role. Maybe look at it as a positive?

Either way, best of luck. I know it is hard when you aren't excited. It makes for a really long year.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 3, 2015

(((( )))) that's a hug - for both of you. A lot of energy is required to face a new year. I wouldn't accept an unpaid position I was not interested in. Stand up for yourself and you will feel more in control, something important when requirements keep getting dumped on you. Good luck. If you think you may be depressed, please seek help.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 3, 2015

I'm sorry! I'd say "no" if possible to the chair duties. Surely someone else is,qualified!

Find some sort of non-school class aftee school and keep looking for different positions.

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 3, 2015

I don't know if I can offer any advise either, but I hope you'll be okay with the heart issues. It's scary to have those feelings and be so sad in a job that we truly love and once enjoyed fully.

Teaching is definitely a challenge, and not one that we can easily say, "Hey, here's my two weeks notice". I've heard of teachers leaving mid year because of family things, and the schools still seem to find a sub, the students still seem to learn, and life goes on.

Take care of you! Maybe this will be a year you'll find experience within your job towards another, or maybe you'll find that amazing job you'd never dreamed of!

Either way, may your passion for teaching and care of education still thrive even during these tough times. :)

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 3, 2015

I think there are so many teachers who feel how you do. It isn't easy with all the added junk that is thrown on you. As hard as it is to do this, somehow I would really try to spend your time really focusing on your classroom and the students. What can you do to really make their year and also your year a great one? I try to make sure I have a book, music, and videos that I use at the beginning of the year to fire me up at home for the upcoming year.

I look at all the junk that admin throws at me kind of like paying bills and cleaning the toilet at home. It is stuff that needs to get done, but I am going to put as little emotional energy as possible into these tasks. Hope this analogy helps a bit. Good luck to you.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2015

:lol: at cleaning the toilet

It's only funny because it's true! Good one.

9. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 4, 2015

Where's the like button? Because I like the heck out of this statement! :lol:

A great image to conjure up when we're handed a few tasks this school year that we'd rather not do, but know it's part of the job. :thumb:

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 4, 2015

I would decline the unpaid position. You don't need another thing bringing you down, adding stress and taking time away from you.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 4, 2015

Agreed!

12. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 5, 2015

OP, I'm so there with you on the feelings you're having. I'm so Not looking forward to this year at all. So far between June and now there's been training and meetings to go to during summer vacation. While I have participated on some of it, I opted out of going these last two weeks. It's my time now and I want to enjoy the little time I have left before the madness begins.
    What makes it harder is that I picked this school to work for and now I see that it was a big mistake. In any case, I'm going to work on having a mind set of "I can, I will survive this" "it's going to be ok" "it's only for less than 7 months" and so forth to help me get through this year.
    We can get through this!