Trying a New Seating Idea

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Oct 29, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 29, 2011

I have about 7 boys in my class this year that are real boogerbears. They will argue over anything, yell out, talk when they are not supposed to, etc. Usually, my plan is to spread them out but some girls between the boys. Only one at each table. The problem is I can tell that the kids that have to sit with them are really getting annoyed.

I change their seats regularly basically because the nametags start coming up, plus they start quarreling with each other more the longer they sit next to the same people. I had a revolutionary idea--I'm going to put all the boogerbears at the same table! :eek: I think that way they will only annoy each other; they aren't getting any work done anyway. Plus I can hang out more at that table to monitor and give the other kids some peace for a month or 2.

We'll see how it goes.....;)

3. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Oct 29, 2011

I actually did that a few years ago when I had a very challenging group. I did it in the spring when I was getting desperate. I gave out table points for good behavior/work habits. The winning table got a small prize at the end of each week. The system didn't improve the table with my challenging kids, but at least my other kids were rewarded for their efforts and were not annoyed by the kids that were constantly causing trouble. Its worth a try!

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Oct 29, 2011

You'll have to keep us posted on how that goes!!!:)

We have "Move seat Monday"! Every Monday they choose a new seat! The kids and I both love it!!! You can put up with anyone for a week!;)

5. forkids

forkids Cohort

Oct 30, 2011

I have been tempted to do exactly this with groups of unruly kids in a couple of classes through the years, but have never been brave enough to try it! Please let us know how it turns out - I may try it next time I have a group like that.

6. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 30, 2011

I have tried this before with no success. I put the offenders at the table closest to where I am sitting with Guided Reading. then they just annoy me.

7. ilovekkids

ilovekkids Rookie

Oct 31, 2011

I read your post and then read the all the other comments, laughed out loud at the last one, thought about what this would look like in my class and then laughed out loud again! I know you didn't mean this to be funny, but I needed a laugh today and this was just the ticket! Tee hee hee! Please forgive me! :)

8. SBP0429

SBP0429 Rookie

Nov 3, 2011

This will be interesting to see how this works. I have 14 boys in my class this year, and some of them are the same way. So, I will look forward to seeing how this goes.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2011

How's it going?

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 3, 2011

I actually like it so far. I know the other kids like it better.;) The only thing is I have to split them up when we rotate through workstations because normally I move them by tables. But otherwise so far it's working :)

11. mkate

mkate Comrade

Nov 4, 2011

A teacher I worked with did this, too. It seemed to work pretty well for her also.