True/False questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Sep 7, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2013

Are these now considered "bad" questions? I wrote up an English exam with about 15 true/false questions about the story we read and I was told I can't use T/F questions. Evidently the country of Costa Rica doesn't allow them.

Is it like this everywhere? Why would they be considered "bad" questions?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 7, 2013

I've always heard they were bad unless you had the students take the the false questions and wrote why they were false or how they could make them true, etc.

4. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 7, 2013

I've never used more than about 5 T/F on a test, and they had to correct the false statements to make them true.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 7, 2013

I am guessing why some might say they are "bad" questions, is that you have a 50% of guessing the correct answer even if you don't know the answer.

I like what a PP said, about having to put why a T/F question is false. I had teachers who had us do this in middle school and high school and it required you to know your stuff.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 7, 2013

:agreed:

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2013

The problem with standard true/false questions is that you can close your eyes and guess and get 50% correct. If passing is 65%, then theoretically you can pass by knowing 30% of the material and randomly guessing on the rest.

Making a kid fix a false question makes him demonstrate the knowledge you're trying to test.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2013

So fixing a T/F question would be okay to ask for on a test? I thought it might be too varying.

9. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 7, 2013

I usually give a little hint by underlining the part that might need to be changed.

For instance:

1) The standard normal distribution has a mean of one and a standard deviation of zero.

2) For a skewed distribution, the median is generally the best measure of central tendency.

If it is true, they write true. If it is false, the simply write on the line what should be there in place of what is underlined. This cuts down on the variance and disputes over other answers that may be correct.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2013

As a math teacher, I don't give T/F or multiple choice questions on my classroom tests. I require my kids to show the work, and I'm generous with partial credit.

But you teach Science. I can see the value of those types of questions for you. Yes, I would have the kids "fix" the falsehoods.

But, to be honest, I think it would be possible for a kid to change a statement to something else entirely and still have a true statement. For example, "The function of the cell wall is to control activity in the cell" changes to "Only plant cells have cell walls." True, but it doesn't demonstrate knowledge of the function of either the cell wall or the nucleus... and that's what the question was going for.

On the other hand, "List the functions of each of the following parts of a cell" leaves a lot less wiggle room-- either you know it or you don't.

I know others use those question types sucessfully, though personally I'm happy not to.

11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2013

It is really difficult to show knowledge about a subject using true/false. Also it is difficult to write a proper true/false question that does not have nuances that can bias the answer.

True/False Plants are not carnivorous.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2013

Little Shop of Horrors is one of my favorite shows!!!:lol:

13. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2013

I thought I would add some humor here even though that was a very specific true/false question.