Troublesome teacher

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Milsey, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 5, 2014

My students are saying a teacher on my team has been making fun of me and saying negative things about my teaching. At first I didn't believe them because some students do that just to get under your skin.
    Then last week they said the teacher called me a 'career changer' and that rang a bell because I did tell her that during in-service.

Personally, I find her a pleasant person to be around but not warm and fuzzy. She never smiles when she passes me in the hallways.

But this comment from the kids has me thinking I can't trust her anymore. I don't want to cause a confrontation right now, but I need some proof that she is bad-mouthing me.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 5, 2014

ignore it don't share anything else with her and let it go. she's proven she is unprofeesional, there is nothing you can do to change her

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 5, 2014

Well, or the students *are* trying to make trouble: "career changer" doesn't sound like an insult to me, necessarily, but it wouldn't be hard to make sound bad.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2014

This. People are going to talk about you no matter who you are or where you work. Who cares? Just don't let it bother you, close your door, and continue to teach.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2014

Conduct yourself professionally, Milsey, and your colleagues will have less to talk about. Hold your head up and let it go.

You've been posting here for about five years...at this point you've got quite a bit of school experiences under your belt.

7. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Oct 6, 2014

You have two options: Speak (privately) to the teacher in question, directly. Let her know what the students are saying. Or, second option, ignore it. Students say all kinds of things. Don't give it a second thought.

8. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Oct 6, 2014

Don't give it a second thought, other than being a little wary of this teacher when sharing personal information (just to be on the safe side). But, confronting her over it seems like just a prelude to more trouble.

BTW, I proudly wear the label "career changer." I think the kids like the fact that I have done other things (although after this year I will officially have been teaching longer than my time spent working in my previous career).

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2014

I don't see why "career changer" is a negative thing.

I always strive to maintain myself professionally, and if people choose to talk about me, that says a lot about them, not me.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 6, 2014

I think she saw "career changer" as a negative thing was because it proved that the teacher was talking about her (since she used those same words previously) and the kids weren't just making it up. I think I'd just stop talking to that teacher about anything personal. If it's not about school don't talk about it.