trouble with paraprofessional

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by bobby, Oct 26, 2011.

1. bobby

bobby Rookie

Oct 26, 2011

Hi all! Last year I wrote about my parapro not doing any work. She did not return this year.
    This year I have a very young, very pregnant certified sped teacher for an aide. She's fresh out of college, so she has her ideas of how a classroom should work.
    She's with me for part of the day (I share her with another sped teacher). I'm an LD SC teacher at the middle school level, btw.
    I need some advice. She often gets on to the "trouble" students and it really annoys them and makes them want to act out more. Every little thing that these students do that she doesn't like, she's onto them. I've told her to try to ignore these behaviors and let me handle them, but I guess she feels like I'm letting them get away with stuff.
    How do you think I should take care of this? How should I approach her? Her behavior is very unprofessional. If she plans on ever getting her own classroom, I fear what that would be like!

3. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Oct 26, 2011

I'm an aide. And through my experience with working with Special education teachers and general education teachers, I usually like when they assign me clerical stuff to do ( making copies, cutting stuff, bulletin boards, etc.) Maybe you could beef up the clerical assignments, something that will take her all day to do, so she won't get in the way.

To stop her from trying to control the bad kids in a nice way, i would probably assign her her own group of kids to monitor. Like you take Jim, John, Tiff ( kids that aren't as bad.) and I'' take sally, molly, and rebecca ( bad kids). So that she feels like she is controlling some kids, but not really. lol. Or lie to her and say that a parent has called you and complained and requested that behavior be handled by you ( the teacher). Act like you know the parent is a psycho or that the parent is crazy for making such a big thing out of nothing, but just so there isn't any trouble with adminsitration to let you handle behavior. act as if your looking out for her best interest : ) And praise her, and tell her she's doing an amazing job, but you just are doing this to appease the parent, because parents are psychos. lol.

She may also have a chip on her shoulder because she is a licensed special education teacher, those are the worst aides to have because they are usually never passive. They want their own class so bad and are so anxious to teach-- they tend to take over yours without realizing it. i'm not that way, I usually just do whatever I'm asked to do. And when the kids are bad, I let the teacher reprimand them. I only step in, if the teacher isn't there.

4. bobby

bobby Rookie

Oct 26, 2011

Thank you Teacher Girl for your advice! I think you're definitely right about the chip on the shoulder. I will definitely try to get her to do mostly clerical work. The kids always dread being alone with her, so I will try to avoid that as much as I can.
    I really think that if I were an aide, I would enjoy doing clerical work instead of having to deal with behavior. I guess everyone's different...

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 26, 2011

Yeah, I would give her her own group of "good" kids and give her her own little corner to call her own and let her have at it. I've done that in the past if someone just didn't fit good with someone else.

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 26, 2011

I would actually not reassign her, but just give her more specific instruction on what you expect her to do, nicely of course :). So, have a very clear classroom management plan that includes typical adult responses to typical behaviors, along with any relevant individual intervention plans, along with procedures. Meet with her periodically, and review how both of you are following the plans.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 26, 2011

If she is interested in teaching, upping her clerical work will likely backfire on you. She can do some, but I wouldn't change it to control her.

The first post was out of frustration but showed respect. My advice is not to change your thinking here and begin seeing her with a chip on her shoulder, etc. I was a para before I was a teacher. Because of my interest, I did more for teachers who respected and appreciated that interest and even cultivated it.

Two suggestions.

1. Do what Preskoo said.
    2. Explain to her WHY you do what you so and why it works. Share your experience. Don't just tell her to let it go, train her.

I had an aide who wasn't trying to become a teacher and she would get overzealous. When I took the time to explain my reasoning, their needs, what I'm looking for, etc. I gained more respect from her and she changed her approach not only easily but with a smile on her face. She came back to me and reported the results.

Handling an aide is like handling every other person. You have to understand their motivations and treat them accordingly and with respect.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 26, 2011

I'm on my phone so I can't edit and add to my long post.

Remember she is also new to the job and just got out of college. She will make mistakes. Teach her.

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 29, 2011

I work with four paraprofessionals. I very specifically assign students to them that I think they will work well with and give them very clear directions as to what they should be doing. Do not lie to them and make excuses. She will see right through it and lose any respect she had for you.

If I don't like the way one them is doing something, I will go over and help them by modeling. Something new is always modeled.

10. MsRuby

MsRuby Rookie

Oct 29, 2011

I agree that assigning her clerical work could backfire. She obviously is looking to be more involved and useful. She needs guidance. One day she will have her own classroom and it would be great if you helped her build skills instead of assigning her menial tasks. Maybe express WHY nagging students about ignorable behaviors is a bad idea. I would give her more involved work with students to keep her busy. Assign her to work one or in a small group with sme quieter students that need help, etc.