Trouble with Literacy Centers

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TeachtheWorld, Sep 20, 2007.

1. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Sep 20, 2007

:woot:I am only allowed to have literacy centers. The way our schedule is set up, each student goes to 3 centers a day. This means that I must have 15 centers. I can't come up with any more. Here's what I have:

magnetic letter
    word sort
    writing
    sight word
    name
    spelling
    phonemic awareness
    library
    listening
    rhyming
    games (literacy file folder games)

Any help?

3. AllysonKinder

AllysonKinder Rookie

Sep 20, 2007

We have some games at my school on little flash card type things - match what goes together (sock-shoe, leaves-rake). Maybe a sequencing activity? Opposites on flash cards to match? (black-white, on-off)

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2007

do you have computers that the kids can use?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2007

read the room
    picture sequencing
    poetry center
    overhead center
    fine motor center

6. TeachGrade1

TeachGrade1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2007

Following Directions
    Build a Sentence
    Reader's Theater
    Dictionary
    Partner Reading

I also have laminated pages from a short vowel book. The kids love to do them with dry erase markers and turn them in.

You could also have the children do a center more than once a week. I want my kids to do tasks like writing more than once, so I put it in the rotation that way.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 21, 2007

Can you describe this a little bit more. I would like to do something like this.

Thank you

Lemon

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 21, 2007

Make some "fishing rods" and get a blue tub. They can go fishing for letters, words or whatever you want. We use paperclips at the end of the yarn but you can also use velcro.

9. TeachGrade1

TeachGrade1 Rookie

Sep 21, 2007

I buy the nonreproducible short vowel and sequencing books at dollar tree(i'm surprised by how good they are). I laminate them and use them at a center. I put them in a basket with dry erase markers and the students work in pairs to complete the activity on the page. They can pick any sheets that they want to do from the selection. Every student must turn in atleast one sheet with his/her name at the top. I look over it, wipe clean and return to the center the next day.

It's a great way to get some traditional tasks completed in a new way that doesn't involve paper and pencil accountability.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 21, 2007

I love invisible ink pens and you can tell if you read a number of my posts. Hehe.

Write grammar sentences (or things like contractions) on popcicle sticks with invisible ink pens. Have them share the pens and use the backlight to decode what you wrote. Then they have to fix the sentence or tell you the answer. They write the answers down on paper.

Use picture cards to match to word cards. Use picture cards to write the word down on paper and word cards to draw a picture. Use picture cards and ask them to put them in ABC order and write the words down in order.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 21, 2007

You can throw in some math... have them do math vocab related stuff... reading the number words - ONE TWO THREE... shape words - CIRCLE SQUARE TRIANGLE

Do some science... throw in weather words and such.

Anything that requires READING WORDS is literacy? RIGHT?

I'm sure you could think of some good centers... matching the shape words to the shape. Matching the number word to the number. Matching weather words to pics... clouds, rain, wind, seasons even! :)

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 21, 2007

I thought of something else... make them figure out math problems but like this...

Have on a card:

"One plus two"

They have to write out 1 + 2, give you the number 3 then spell out THREE.

With the shapes - "This shape has 4 sides all the same size" - SQUARE

Reading and math--- all wrapped into one!

13. Oldie

Oldie Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

Literacy Stations/Centers

I have a station that is called Partner Clap. It includes index cards with magazine pictures with the word wrote on the same side as the picture. On the back, I drew a hand print with the number of syllables in the picture word. One partner puts on gloves (girls wear cute little garden gloves: ladybugs, etc., boy wear work gloves) from Dollar Tree. The other partner holds up the picture to the partner with the gloves. The partner with the gloves will say the word, clap the syllables and say the number of syllables. The partner holding the card will check to see it this is correct by looking at the handprint. The partner will go through the stack of index cards clapping syllables then switch jobs. Another station includes a form on which the student writes their spelling words at the top, then the student will cut and glue letters out of a magazine to spell the words at the bottom. I have numbered lines with large spaces between each so there is room to glue. This is kind of a messy station but they are responsible for clean up. You may need to stress that they need to finish at least ___ words before it is time to move to another station. I have a word detective station (write the room) that students look for words around the room with toy magnifying glasses and the form requires them to look for words that start with the letters being studied and/or 3 letter words, etc. You can create another read/write the room -I found small binoculars at CVS for $4 and they read the room with the binoculars and fill out the form. Have others but I have run out of writing space.

14. Crys68

Crys68 Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I didn't see a Poetry Center.

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 22, 2007

You could do something with environmental print. Common, well know items and places... cereal boxes, restaurant ads, all kinds of things.

16. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Oct 4, 2007

I've implemented a poetry center this week. Still need 1 more.

17. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 5, 2007

I have a comprehension organizer center....

they choose a just right book and complete the comprehension organizer that we are currently working on in class.

Making connections organizer. What it says in the text and what it reminds me of.
    Asking questions organizer. This week is the visualizing organizer. My more capable students write sentences and the lower students just draw pictures.

I also use a word family mural and a word family poem as a center. The mural they add pictures to a class poster and labels for a specific word family. My kids love this! The poem they use highlighter tape to highlight the word family.

I also have used a pocket chart center. I bought the book, pocket chart phonics( or something like that) and the students had to choose words that went with the poem.

I bet a word search center could work too! That is literacy... they have to spell the words and don't realize how much they are even doing!

Also, I have a book recomendation form. You could probably make it into a center. Most of my students love recommending books they read to other students.

18. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Oct 6, 2007

Wow! That is a lot of centers! I only have eight centers and they only do one a day. I have a rotation of three. They are either in a guided reading group, a center, or seatwork. I have an assistant though. My assistant and I have about 5 kids each in a guided reading group for 20 minutes. The rest of the kids are split between a center or seatwork. Seatwork usually involves their starfall books, creating word family wheels, or sight word practice. We then ring a bell and rotate. The ones in seatwork, then go to reading, the ones in centers, go to seatwork, and the ones in reading groups go onto centers. Seems to work but then again, I have an assistant. I don't know how it would work without one.

19. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 14, 2007

I think you are working too hard. I have tons of centers but I only put out 5 centers a week. It is okay and maybe even preferable for your kids to repeat a center in a week. You will drive yourself crazy if you have to change 15 centers every week. Try to make centers that are open ended with no real product. Just practicing reading, practicing making words or sentences with letters, stamping words, listening to stories on the list. post. reading with a buddy or a big book or reading the room. All of these are open ended and most kids love to repeat centers they really love. I also have a puppet center with a theatre and easy 1 page plays and I have magnet center and pocket chart center. Both of these are favorites. All of mine have no product that I check. Think "practice the process" not "product". If you want a product, do it whole class directed by you and checked and monitored by you. :wub:

20. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 14, 2007

Can you extend the time that the kids are at the centers? Then, you wouldn't have to come up with so many maybe. I think pattie is right...you're going to go nuts if you have to change these all of the time. You and the kids both.

Get a few centers together and just change the content in them around. That way, the kids will know exactly what to do, you won't have to come up with new and exciting plans, and they will still be learning. That doesn't mean that you can't change something down the road if you want to but don't overwhelm yourself.

21. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

I detest centers (don't stone me). I LOVE the daily five. Every time I did centers I felt like my kids were engaged in the activity, not in the learning. They took too much time to teach well, and kids looked to me when they were off task to see if I would "catch them."

I LOVE the daily 5. I'll never go back!!!

Good luck though. It seems like you are making too many centers. Can you have more kids go to the centers you already have?