Trouble with application question...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachGA, Jun 15, 2011.

1. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

:help: I'm burning the midnight oil working on job applications... came upon this toughie. I'm not sure how I want to approach it:

"Briefly describe in your own words your most significant teaching or learning experience and tell how it contributed to your development as a teacher."

I don't know if it really applies to the question, but this is my favorite experience so far: A couple of months before school let out, one of my favorite students moved. I was absolutely devastated - he came in every morning with an enthusiastic "Good morning!" and a big bright smile. Wonderful manners, quick learner despite family issues... he lit up my day! Anyways, on the day he left, his mom gave me a card that said, "Thank you for always having a big smile on your face, it really makes a difference. I can totally see you having your own class one day and being one of the best teachers (I was an assistant teacher)!"

OMG. Maybe I'm a softie, but I just about cried. Four months later, I still have that card sitting on my mantle - I look at it every time I'm down or frustrated. It really does motivate me by letting me know that I made a difference. But... does it count as a "significant teaching experience"? Yes, I have student success stories, but this is one moment that really sticks out in my mind.

So my question is... can I write a decent answer using this scenario, or to I need to regroup? Thanks in advance...

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 15, 2011

It is a great story but I don't think it fits what they want. While developing rapport is vital, I think this question wants you to display a lesson that shares how well you teach and what kind of impact it had on their further instruction as well as how it changed how you would teach this in the future.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2011

I agree with cut-- I think they're looking for a story of an academic success.

5. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Jun 16, 2011

Thanks guys... back to the drawing board then.

6. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 16, 2011

Was there a student that you had to find a new way to reach? A concept that you thought everyone understood and then realized they didn't so you had to introduce it from a different angle?