Trouble landing a permanent job...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ArtTeacher22, Aug 16, 2015.

1. ArtTeacher22

ArtTeacher22 New Member

Aug 16, 2015

Ready to give up...

Hello Everyone,

I am in desperate need of help/advice/insight/shoulder to cry on, etc. I have been searching for a permanent art teaching job for six years. I have over three years of art teaching experience (long-term leaves) as well as two and a half years of teaching assistant experience. I recently interviewed for a permanent elementary art position (my dream job) and went through every round with flying colors. My last interview was with the superintendent of the district. It was down to me and one other candidate. My interview with the superintendent lasted for over an hour. I never felt so confident and reassured - we chatted as if we had known each other for years. At the end of the interview he told me that I was a perfect fit for the district and even though he had one more candidate to interview, he knew he wanted me for the job. Before I left, he shook my hand and told me not to accept any other job offers and he would be in touch with me soon. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed with excitement. Finally, after six years... my time had come. About a week later, I receive a phone call from the high school principal of the same district. She tells me that one of her art teachers decided to take the elementary job and now she has an opening in the high school level. While holding back tears of resentment, I "happily" agreed to interview for the high school position. This interview did not go as well considering all of my experience has been elementary based. I have yet to hear if I will be moving to the next round.

Has anyone ever gone through something like this? I could not believe that after having a wonderful interview with the superintendent and the words of reassurance he gave me, this would transpire. After wallowing in self pity for three days, I found the courage to send him a firm, albeit, polite e-mail asking "What happened?".

If anyone has had any experience with this, please share your story. Or if you have any words of comfort, I would be forever grateful.

Sincerely,

Devasted in NY

3. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 16, 2015

I understand your pain and frustration. I made it to the final round of an Emotional Support Teacher position. I studied the area in grad school, had a year student teaching experience in it, and taught two years of it as a full-time teacher before moving out of state. I made it to the final round, the principal winked at me (in a good way) and said that i did great and even placed me in the classroom room as support until they had the final interview with the other candidate. I was soooooo excited!!! two weeks came and went and they all of a sudden said they didn't need me to help out in the room. A month later i got a letter from them stating they did not choose either candidate and wanted someone with experience in the emotional support area (even that i have a masters degree in it, student teaching, and 2 years teaching in it). It was a HUGE slap in the face. I resented that district for it to this day and won't even sub in that district anymore.

I only have elementary level experience as well. I went on an Instructional Aide position interview the other week and found out it was high school. I was disappointed and I thought I did horrible at the interview. A week later they offered me the job. I couldn't believe it.

I made it to the second round interview for a full-time Special ed position in another district (the first round was 5 months prior believe it or not)...once again it was high school level. I thought I did okay at the interview. They said I will find out by the 20th. It will be a long week of waiting.

Even though I didn't think I could handle the HS level, I'm taking these opportunities as a positive ( the aide position or possible teaching position). You never know what these positions will bring you in the future. Good Luck to you!

4. ArtTeacher22

ArtTeacher22 New Member

Aug 16, 2015

Thank you for sharing your experience! You're absolutely right about trying to stay positive. Teaching high school is definitely not my strong suit, but I'll take what ever is offered at this point!

At times like these, there's comfort in knowing that you're not alone in this crazy and unpredictable game we call "job searching".

5. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 16, 2015

What a bummer---so sorry!! I also have been applying to see what I can get even though I really want Elementary. The unknown can be very scary. Let us know what ends up happening for you.