Trouble in the boys bathroom!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kteelou, Jan 9, 2007.

1. kteelou

kteelou Rookie

Jan 9, 2007

~I know this sounds silly, but it really is a problem!!:) ~
    I am a first year Kindergarten teacher and share a bathroom with another Kindergarten teacher. Ever since the beginning of the year we have had so many problems with the boys using the bathroom all over the floor!! We have tried pulling the boys to one room without the girls and talking to them about it, putting a penny in the toilet so it gives them something to aim at, everything!! Please, if you have any suggestions let me know!! I know this sounds silly, but it's really becoming a problem and is really making the bathroom stink!! We call the janitors down to our rooms at least twice a day to mop the floor! It's crazy and neither one of us knows what else to do! Any help would be great!! :)

3. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jan 9, 2007

what about a fruit loop? that way they could try to "ring the hole"...that is what my mom used to do for my brothers...

Could it be one child doing it or are is it the whole crew...I am in first grade and I have had that problem...but it is not the whole class just one culprit I have yet to catch.

4. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Jan 9, 2007

make a sign in sheet. If someone goes in and finds pee all over the floor, whoeverwas in there last has to clean up there own mess. That might give them motivation. as far as how to teach them to aim, you're on your own with that one.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2007

One of the kindergarten teachers had a similar problem. She had a girls and boys bathroom in her classroom. Her problem was a bit different, this one involved "number 2". They smeared it all over the walls. What she did was have the prinicpal and other authoritive people come in and talk to the boys. The boys are also not allowed to use the boys bathroom anymore and can only use the bathroom outside by the playground. So far, no more problems, but maybe you can get the principal in to talk to them???

6. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Jan 9, 2007

similar to what angel said, I think you should tell them that you are going to keep tabs on who is in the bathroom and when. I don't know if you can make them clean it up unless you witness it. But, Instead of talking to a whole room of boys where no one is pinpointed, you could have a more constructive talk, away from the other children with a couple. Hopefully it won't get so bad that you have to do a one by one bathroom checking after each child...but if it is worth staying on the janitors good side and saving your nostrils...so be it.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2007

We have monitored the bathroom closely when this problem arises. If I "suspect" who it is, I just tell them to go in and clean up the mess they made on the bathroom floor. If they did it, they walk directly to it. If they didn't do it, they look dumbfounded and tell me they didn't make a mess. You have to be smarter than the kids.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 9, 2007

I'm siimlar to Grammy. I have a few who cause the problem... one in particular, I would "supervise" his visits... he was the LAST one to go before nap, after nap, etc., and an adult stood right at the door to keep him from playing around. The trouble didn't last very long.

9. kteelou

kteelou Rookie

Jan 10, 2007

Thanks for all of y'alls help!! Maybe I'll try the sign in sheet thing. We've already tried assigning a bathroom monitor for each classroom and making them go in after every boy. But, that just caused way more problems than it was worth!! Thanks for your help!!