Trouble Going to Sleep?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ms_chandler, Nov 28, 2006.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Nov 28, 2006

So, it seems after a tiresome day, I'd fall asleep so quickly, but I don't. I know a little of it is anxiety. I don't stress, but I find myself wondering about things or "playing things out" in my mind when I should be sleeping. Seriously, some nights I get 4 hours of sleep. On Friday and Saturday night, I can sleep like 12 hours. My family calls me Rip Van Winkle! It's like I have to catch up. I've even taken sleeping pills to fall asleep at a scheduled time, but I hate doing that. I also have "sleep" CDs and a wonderfully comfy feather bed and Egyptian cotton sheets. I am out of ideas. But, I know this isn't healthy!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2006

I have also been having problems sleeping. No problems falling asleep, but I am awake pretty well every night from 3:10 (like clockwork) until close to 5:00. Since I know that the alarm goes off at 5:30 I don't fall into a deep sleep then. I do go to bed early; snuggled in reading by 9:20 or so and then "lights off" around 9:45. I've tried staying up later, but my body is on this weird cycle and I was getting even less sleep. The 5-6 hours a night just isn't enough. I tried melatonin, and it seemed to work for awhile, but I'm back in this unhealthy cycle.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 28, 2006

I'm on sleeping meds. Nuff said.

5. Mr. M

Mr. M Rookie

Nov 28, 2006

Yes, me too...which leads to...

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 28, 2006

I've tried a homeopathic sleep aid that seems to help me. I forget the name, but I'll post it if you want. I don't like the idea of prescription meds every night.

7. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Nov 28, 2006

Wow, it is nice to know that I am not alone! I am so tired right now, but I feel like I NEED to be awake. I would rather stay up til 2 am and sleep in til 10 or 11. Too bad our schedules just don't work with that!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 29, 2006

I'm bipolar so my mind (when in any degree of manic state) will make me an insommiac. For a solid year I did take the med every night. It was more important to my mental health that I be rested (or it could contribute to an episode) than to be worried about being on px med every night. This year I'm learning to know WHEN to take it and thus take it 80% less. That's just me though. I don't expect anyone to glean any advice from that. I was just sharing.

Make a list of priorities for the entire week (identify the ones for today) then cross stuff out. When you scratch stuff out and see stuff visually planned, it may help calm your "what did I forget" jitters. It can also serve to help focus your to do list for the night instead of randomly doing stuff then "ooops, I forgot to do...". Try not watching any tv shows until the hour before you go to bed. Do everything in your night schedule then lay down and watch a boring, predictiable, or rerun show. Let your mind watch the show. Try to avoid thinking about anything. To quite your energy at the beginning of the show, concentrate on breathing in and out deeply until you are focusing on the show and not on your breathing or activities of the day.

Mostly though, try to stick to a predictable schedule and work on quieting things down and stopping at least an hour before bedtime. Try to avoid making excuses why you haven't done this tonight. Keep to your schedule strictly. Over time, your body will recognize it.

P.S. Some sleep experts tell people to avoid tv before bedtime. It works for me. It might not for you.

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 29, 2006

I'm on STRONG sleeping meds. I can't fall asleep naturally and Lunesta and some of the other popular ones didn't work. Since I've started taking this one I can finally fall alseep and don't feel hungover in the morning. It just wasn't worth it to try and sleep naturally.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 29, 2006

It's too bad that many of you take pills to fall asleep. I'm a real night owl, but it's becaus I want to be. I'm not up for negative reasons (worrying,stressing, etc.), I just like watching tv or being on the computer until I get sleepy. I don't use any type of sleep aides. I've always been that way, way before I got into teaching. On weeknights, I'll usually go to sleep at 11pm or midnight at the latest. On weekends, I'll go to bed as late as 1am or so.

Regarding my work, I usually walk out the door right on the dot & I clear my mind of work thoughts. Taking it one day at a time is the only way. I wish you all better night sleeps.

11. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Nov 29, 2006

I definately don't watch the late news on work nights, but I am a bit of a night owl. I have to get myself to sleep by using "visualiztion" techniques, Imagining only pleasant scenarios, a vacation I want to take, a perfect day at school, coming home after work to a clean house, dinner on the table and a husband and both my kids waiting on me, (LOL but you can still pretend!), etc.

If all else fails, a colleague of mine said her doctor told her to use "Simply Sleep" by the makers of Tylenol. Supposedly it's harmless and non-addictive. And OTC.

Personally, I'm afraid to take any medications for sleep. I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to medications. I can't even take a prescription pain killer without getting sick to my stomach!

12. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Nov 30, 2006

I think there are a number of factors that can keep one awake. Stress is certainly one of them. However, many people experience stress and don't realize it. When I started teaching, I got panic attacks like crazy and everyone felt I was a mellow, laid back type of guy. Yesterday and Today I even got some tension headaches so I know stress hits me pretty hard. I can also wake up once in a while and my teeth hurt so Im sure I might be grinding my teeth or something else. One thing I have noticed is I stick my tongue out in the mirror in the morning and can see indentations on my tongue of my teeth....I push my tongue into my teeth when I sleep and thats stress.

For me, I try to leave stuff at school so I dont ahve to think about it at home. Also, I should get into a regular sleeping pattern, but Im all out of whack. Monday night, I went to bed at 2am and woke up at 5...paid for it later that day, lol.

One thing I suggest is just to do like others have said and maybe try visualization. Just get a lazy boy and recline for a while in the dark and just relax and think about as little as possible, take deep breaths. Also, keep the bed for sleep and...well, you know. Lots of people read in their beds and other junk and the body doesnt really associate it like it should as a place to sleep.

A psychology teacher I had a few years ago told us about a technique he used when he goes to bed. He imagined going into a shower and having the water on a nice soothing warm temperature with teh water washing off the impurities and all the dirt and junk. He would start with thinking about the water and making his head clean and then after he 'imagined' itw as clean, he went down his neck and chest...etc. By the time he got to his feet, he was out like a light.

13. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Nov 30, 2006

I think the key to sleep is often clearing your mind. whether you count or relax your body one step at a time...Clearing your mind is so hard for many people that we need techniques like these. When people first learn to meditate they are often told to focus on their breaths. Because clearing your mind can be so hard, they are told to loosen thier muscles and say breathe in with a deep intake of air from the back of your throat not just your nose or mouth. then breathe out as you exhale. This can be audibly or mentally. The point is to focus on your breathing. Your mind will wander, but that is okay. As soon as you realize you are not focusing on your breath, that you are thinking of something else, just return to your breath knowing that, that is okay. If you do this in a dark room, with some slow melodic music, while laying down, I don't care who you are you are going to sleep. The trick is the focus. Only on the breath. in...and out.....With that said, I can knock myself out anytime, but my problem is I always want to do one last thing before I do. One last thing turns into 10 which turns into 20....

14. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 30, 2006

Many sleep problems are related to stress, however, there are sleep disorders that cannot be fixed by relaxation methods.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 30, 2006

This technique makes me think about using the restroom :D !

My friend's choir made a Christmas CD all in Latin and this is what I put on when I am having trouble falling asleep. I tell her that I listen to it all of the time, but she doesn't know that I only play it to help me fall asleep ;) .

16. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 30, 2006

I just have to tell you that I used to spend two hours a night rolling around, thinking about my day, thinking about my next day, thinking about what i could be doing instead of sleeping... I would make lists and lists and my sleep was so bad once I had my own kids that I CHANGED. My mood, tempermant totally changed, hormones were BONKERS etc... I have been sleeping with a CPAP machine now for 6 years and LOVE IT. Its for sleep apnea which I know I had since I was a young child but it was NOT diagnosed for 25 years! I 'plug into my machine' each night and in 5-8 minutes am FAST asleep. Its wonderful. I hit REM sleep every night and have an excellent concentration of Oxygen with the 'constant air pressure'. My nose has become red and affixed in a swollen look as a result of the apparatus I use but ohhhhhhhh the sleep is sooooo worth it.

17. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

Are these sleep problems related to your teaching jobs? Just wondering. Since I started teaching, most of my dreams are about school!

18. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Nov 30, 2006

Yeah, I had a wild dream last nite about school...dreamed I overslept and came rushing to school in a wife beater, shorts, and legs that needed to get shaved, with my assiss. principal pinching me for being late and the person watching my class taking apart my rug and rearranging my room:)

I do have a question....over the last couple of nights, i have gone to sleep and woken up an hour later feeling like I have slept all night long. Does this mean restful sleep or not?

19. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Nov 30, 2006

I laughed so hard! That would be me, running to the barhroom all night! I'd never get any sleep!!!

20. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Nov 30, 2006

All my working life I have had dreams about school. mostly toward the end of summer and especially the week before school starts. I dream that I go in on the first day and nothing is ready, etc. It happens almost every year! My worst nightmare!:eek:

21. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Nov 30, 2006

Tee hee we had a long post on this in chit-chat, but long story short, try some of these:

1. melatonin tablets (the orange kind that dissolve under your tongue, 2.5mg...don't get the ones you swallow b/c everyone's digestive system is different, so it could leave you groggy).
    2. white-noise machines (they do much better than cd's or earplugs)
    3. don't do anything 30 minutes before bed, just wind down.
    4. get regular exercise. Studies have shown those who exercise regularly sleep better among other things in their lives :p
    5. don't eat within 2 hours of going to bed. This has somethign to do with your digestive system.