Trouble deciding

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by usfmeghi, Aug 14, 2006.

1. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Aug 14, 2006

So, I've been given two job offers and am having trouble deciding between the two. They are both APLE qualifying schools, so I couldnt use that in my judgement. However, one pays about $4000 more. I'm living out of area at the moment so in both cases, I will be relocating.

I will be a first year teacher. My expereince has been middle school.

One school in a 7/8 LA/Reading position

The other is an ESL/9th grade English position.

The first however, I won't have the kids from the first day. They started today, so they are having a sub and will be bringing in a teacher.

The other starts the 24th.

Long term, I want to move down to elementrayschool (afterI am able to add on a multiple authorization)

Can someone give me feedback on middle school vs 9th grade

and also takibg over for a substitute two weeks into school? The first is a more desirable area. The other is a good 1.5 hours from East Bay, where all my friends live.

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2006

With middle schoolers you can have more fun, brain breaks and such. By ninth grade the kids really aren't going to resond the same to it (but they still like it, they just wont tell you) With high school students you can really challenge what they think and what they believe about things, you know the higher levels on blooms taxonomy, so you need to decide what age group best fits your personality.

Oh, if you are relocating and want to be closer to your friends, that would play a larger role in your choice, good luck.

4. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Aug 14, 2006

Thank you!

I'm leaning towards the high school because the support system is really good.

My other quyestion though:

If I want to move down to elementary school, is it easier to from middle school or is it not significant?