tropical storm watch

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by mommaruthie, Aug 1, 2004.

1. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 1, 2004

What is up with this Florida weather?
    My swimming pool is up 5 inches!
    I have to again remind you that two weeks before school starts there is ALWAYS a named storm. Although we are starting the 16th, two weeks EARLIER this year, it will be interesting to see if we get hit with a hurricane!
    Stay Dry!

3. austeach

austeach Companion

Aug 2, 2004

mommaruthie, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the weather is more mild for you than you expect. We don't often get bad storms through here. We've had a cyclone or two, but they are VERY few and far between. Does a hurricane cause as much damage as a tornado? Are they just different names for the same thing? Sorry if these are silly questions, just educating myself.

Once again, fingers crossed for mild weather for you and a great start to your new school year.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 2, 2004

hurricane is winds over 50 miles per hour. Hurricanes cause MANY tornadoes/cyclones. The level of hurricane is based on its wind strengths. Since I was born, and have lived only in the state of Florida, I only recall Hurricane David ,Hurricane Hugo, and the worst, and most destructive was Hurricane ANdrew. I am sure there were others during my life time that are worthy of mentioning but I dont recall them impacting us as the three have.

All the other hurricanes were MILD or lower category winds.The category one, two storms are not pleasant but i wouldnt board up my home (we have hurricane shutters which are now included in all construction since hurricane andrew eleven years ago. It wiped out the entire CITY of homestead and nearly the entire City of Kendall. That storm was registered as category FOUR until it blew off the roof of the hurricane center! My parents moved from Miami beach after thirty years of living there. With every hurricane being reported is the potential of waves higher then the roof of the house. Not a hurricane shutter is built to withstand the plummet of waves and flooding!
    Hurricanes are not just a weather disturbance, but also during that season, we get tropical birds literally blown in and also the migrating rafters of cuba and haiti take advantage of the seas during that time. My husband and I had a serious accident with the hurricane shutters about 5 years ago and hurricane season for us becomes difficult emotionally. There is NOTHING in my home that can ever mean more then my husband's life. (because of this accident which two weeks later caused a woman's death, it was what made me GIVE GIVE GIVE my teaching materials. It was because of my teaching stuff that we were in the garage to begin with) EVERY neighbor, every man is out helping each other get their shutters up. It was because of hurricane andrew that the city I purchased my first home, was built. Our hurricane supplies are usually in totes ready for the season so when a named storm comes, the shelves go bare at all the grocery stores. Not a bottle of water is available! I have posted before on this and will add it once i do the search.

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 2, 2004

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=3895&highlight=hurricane
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=3420&highlight=hurricane

these are the other posts related to the impact of hurricanes. Its interesting but in my search thru the archives I stumbled on a post i made in response to charter schools and just read my response that I wrote only after my first year at charter and am shocked at the positive vibes I got from it.
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=3192&highlight=hurricane+charter

scroll to my second post! If you are familiar with the hellacious year I had this year, it is quite comical to read the difference!

6. austeach

austeach Companion

Aug 2, 2004

Thanks for the information mommaruthie. I'm sorry you and your husband had such a bad experience. I can understand that making you even MORE wary of upcoming storms.

Good luck this season!

7. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 3, 2004

No hurricanes yet--here in mid FL. I am sitting in my portable though listening to the downpour--hoping it will slack off before I have to put the kidlets on the bus. I know what you mean about the water level. My friend was out last night trying to save the tadpoles that have hatched in her daughters "little" pool. The poor things were just running out of the pool as the water level rose. I "saved" some by bringing them in school. :)

8. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 3, 2004

Austeach,
    My husband says a cyclone is a hurricane on your coast. Something to do with geography and if its above africa, its a hurricane, and below africa a cyclone.
    Ruth
    P.S. The north east of the UNITED STATES is dealing with the first hurricane of the season! (it started as the tropical storm and in a day and a half, wind strenghthened to hurricane speed)

9. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Aug 12, 2004

Ruth,

I'll be praying for you as I watch the current tracks of Bonnie and Charlie. Stay safe.

It looks like Charlie's heading right into some friends in Naples and through to Winter Haven where mom and dad (and currently one of my kids) are at.

Ed

10. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 12, 2004

Double hurricane. One they think is going to be a strong category 3 with winds up to 105mph. ALWAYS before school starts!!!!!
    We are going for a suprise party weekend in St. Pete for my father in law 65 bday. There is 8 adults and 6 kids going. I HATE the idea of leaving my home and going to direct coastline. I hope the family makes alternate plans!!

11. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 12, 2004

I'm in Polk County--we are closed tomorrow (Friday the 13th) due to the storm.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2004

I'm thinking of all of you down there!!! We have fam near Ft. myers!!!! STAY SAFE!!!!!

13. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 12, 2004

We are closed tomorrow too in Osceola County. I live in Polk and am watching Charley very carefully. My first Florida hurricane. Before they changed the track, the eye was supposed to go right over my house (not an exaggeration). I am busy today battening down the hatches.

14. austeach

austeach Companion

Aug 12, 2004

I will be thinking of you all and keeping EVERYTHING crossed that the storms pass you by safely.

Take care everyone.

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2004

I'm up here in Maryland. When evacuations are called for during these storms, where on earth can one go? Are there shelters already set up somewhere?

16. Aug 12, 2004

Tropical Storm Reply

I live in VA. It started raining here @ 5:00 p.m. We are a very lucky state. We always get the near misses and after affects of these storms. Problem is, I live near the Rappahanock River and it doesn't take much to flood. So-I get stuck home because the bridge is closed. I also teach. (Preschool--3 year olds, 20+ some days) @ Chesterbrook Academy.

17. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 13, 2004

It put it in al ight note, but I heard the DJ on the radio yesterday afternoon comment "We're all complaining about our weather [it's highs of 60's the last few days instead of the 80's we expect!)... be glad you're not in the panhandle of Florida.. .Charlie's huffing and puffing and, well, I think he needs to take a Time Out!"

Hugs for all of you...

18. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 13, 2004

Bonnie just finished passing and charlie is going to cross over and looks like its going to drag up the north east or change direction once it hits land/tampa and not go up the NE coast. Stay safe!

19. adria

adria Comrade

Aug 13, 2004

storm

I will pray that all is well, and that the after effects is not as bad as they expect it to be. There's no school today and I must admit I am happy, I can catch up on righting my lesson plans...it hsa only been a few days and I alreadiy feel like there is so much on my plate....I am considering this day as a blessing and I will use it...the best I can...

To all of you guys be safe and put your trust in God, all will be well

God Bless

20. adria

adria Comrade

Aug 13, 2004

storm

I am tired...righting for writing and hsa for has...forgive me guys.

God Bless

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2004

I hope everyone made it through Charley's wrath!!! I called fam...they were ok!!!

22. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 13, 2004

I've been thinking about everybody in FL all day... I can't wait to hear from you! :love:

Margo & Seich30, I've been watching scenes from Polk County... lots of damage. I hope everything is okay with you. :(

23. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 14, 2004

Oh NO, Punta Gorda looks HORRIBLE. The north east better take this storm seriously

24. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 14, 2004

Thanks for thinking about us down here. The storm came right over Polk County with it's full fury. We had wind gusts clocked at 100 mph. Luckily for me there was no property damage. A couple of palm trees were leaning but hubby was able to stand them back up and stake them so they should be OK. Not sure how Seich made out in Lakeland. The storm was a lot stronger there.

25. Amanda

Aug 14, 2004

It's good to hear from you Margo and mommaruthie! :D

So what did you think of your first hurricane, Margo?

26. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 14, 2004

It wasn't as bad as I thought but I was very glad when it was over. I don't know that I want to see another one anytime soon.

27. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 14, 2004

We got so lucky. Our homes are built to hurricane codes that can withstand only winds to 125mph. There is nothing that could be done with a category four storm. I hope everyone is ok. I know s. fla. sent a lot of rescue workers there.

28. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 15, 2004

Polk County schools are closed for the week. I am waiting to see about schools in my county. The town that my school is in was hit very hard. They were told they may not have power for 4 - 6 days. I am very thankful that less damage was done here. We drove around a little bit yesterday and the damage is incredible. Looks like war zones. Roofs torn off buildings, trees down all over the place, power poles snapped like toothpicks.....

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2004

Glad to hear everyone's ok... My fam in Lee County is without power probably for the week & phones... did talk on a cell. The made it through with some damage to the house & swimming pool screen, but nothing to Major. They said wind of 173!!!

30. Amanda

Aug 15, 2004

Hopefully Seich30 will check in soon... She may be without power, too.

31. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 23, 2004

Just got back to school. We were off last week here in Polk. I personally didn't have any damage and the area where my school is--also was safe (which was a surprise to me since it is such a poverty stricken area--such rickety buildings). Lakeland didn't seem to have much damage unless it was from falling tree. The surrounding cities didn't fair as well as we did. This is my first hurricane that I can remember that had any significant damage to Polk Co.--I wasn't born in the 60's when Donna went through. Anyways, safe and well and back to school. One of my little ones, kept telling me that the wind was blowing down trees. :)

32. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 23, 2004

Glad to hear you are OK

33. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 23, 2004

we just got back our sheriff department from punta gorda. I think they are going in shifts because one of my students dad said he is going back in TWO weeks!
    Lots of donation sites and help came from south florida, where people could relate best to what happened north of us.

34. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Aug 25, 2004

My parents, and my daughter who is with them currently, weathered the storm OK. They are in Winter Haven, just east of Cypress Gardens. Lost seven sections of fencing, a few shingles, and had the screen around their pool torn by flying debris. At least everyone is safe.