Tropical Storm (maybe hurricane) Fay

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Aug 16, 2008.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2008

So, we've been lucky the last couple of years...pray that our luck continues. We should, at the very least, get some rather nasty weather, but you never know with hurricanes. So far, everything projects the storm skimming the west coast of Florida, but, each advisory moved the cone farther east. I love South Florida....Really. :D

3. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 16, 2008

Hoping for the best for you guys!

4. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 16, 2008

Francis, Jeanne and Wilma are why we left S. FL. Keeping you in my thoughts!!!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2008

Wishing you continued luck! I heard that it might come in to the Texas coast.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2008

yup, stg...if it misses me, then it's heading for you. I talked to a friend who's a sr. meterologist at the NHC and she says the public forcasts are very conservative. They think theres a very significant chance it will fall apart over cuba and hit the mainland as a series of very nasty thunderstorms, BUT...they can't make that part of their public forcasts just in case it doesn't. They can't take the chance of lulling people into complacancy. If it DOES retain the organization of the eye over cuba, then conditions are VERY conducive to strenghtening over the florida straits.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 16, 2008

Also, the local weathermen salivate when a storm is anywhere within reach. It is their moment of glory when they can stay on air around the cloud, unshaven, cuffs rolled up.

My sister got a generator and gas stove after the last go-round. I got sterno. Haha.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2008

Worst case scenario: I use Daddy's contacts and stay in an ATT central switching office. That's an Andrew like storm. Moderate storms: I would go to my Dad's house where he has a hard-wired deisel generator :D. My friend in the NHC says more than likely this will be more like a really long severish thunderstorm. I'm not so worried.

9. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Aug 16, 2008

As a resident of the west coast of Florida, I have concerns about Fay, BUT my biggest concern is the projection for our area is for Tuesday, which our first day of school. Not a great start for the year!

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2008

They're talking about delaying the start of school all the way over on the east coast.....

11. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 16, 2008

When Katrina moved through and we were out of power almost a month we ended up getting a generator and hubby just cranked it up today to see how it was running. I just hope we never need it again. And best to luck for everyone that is in the way of one.

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 16, 2008

Here's hoping Fay fizzles out fast!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 16, 2008

We have back to school night on Mon. night. I could actually do without it, personally.

14. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

I'm worried about it too.. only because the 1st day is Monday (Orlando area) & my husband has to fly out early Wed. morning to Michigan. Missing the 2nd day of school.. or anytime the 1st week would be something I'd like to avoid. Although delaying my husband leaving might not be a bad thing. (He'll be gone until Christmas, although I hope to see him during the time he's gone..)

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 18, 2008

Any hurricane report?

16. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

we still start school today, in sw florida... they are opening shelters at noon (while the kids are still in school). They have it forcasted to hit near me tuesday afternoon. They are saying schools will most likely close tomorrow. im prepared, but not to worried about it.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

well, it didn't fall apart as much as they expected while it was over cuba, and it's taking the track that the most eastern models predicted. This could be worse for the east coast than predicted, but still shouldn't be more than a cat 1, which is still okay. I'll be on and off here all day, and I have the NHC site up, and my friend in the NHC is keeping updated on what's going on "on the inside". If I dissapear, it's cause we lost power, but, don't freak out...there's some palm trees too close to the power lines near my house.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

I sure don't want to lose power. On the east coast, we are due for the heaviest rains of the storm, but, supposedly, only tropical storm force winds. Schools are closed tomorrow.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

It's been a big bust...the thunderstorms we had at the begining of the summer were worse.