Troops to Teachers Lateral Entry NC

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by New 2 NC, Jul 15, 2013.

1. New 2 NC

New 2 NC New Member

Jul 15, 2013

Hello,

I have recently seperated from the Marines and I am looking to go into teaching. To give some background I was a Spanish Linguist and have a BS in Pre-Law with a very heavy focus on Poli Sci and History course. I can qualify to teach Spanish and Social Studies and I am looking into Lateral Entry options in and around Wake County (i.e. Johnston, Franklin, Durham County and Chapel Hill). I just started the process applying by filling out an application with the state and individual counties, ones that required it. My recommendation surveys and recommendation letters are rolling in and I have started to email various points of contacts regarding "open" positions explaining my interest, providing my resume and the fact that I would be lateral entry.

What I am really asking is for some one to give me a good idea as to what my chances are as a Lateral Entry Social Studies and then as Spanish. Also if anyone has any experience with the NC lateral entry program that would help greatly. I am stuck to the Wake County and the surrounding counties due to my wife working at Wake Med.

3. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 15, 2013

Honestly, getting a lateral entry in this economy is going to be difficult. I'm in coastal NC (Craven/Pamlico/Carteret/Onslow County area) and I don't know of anyone who acquired a position through lateral entry. I would imagine that if principals have their choice of a certified teacher or someone who is lateral entry and will eventually be certified, they'd go with the first.

There are a lot of people certified in Social Studies, either primary certification or add-on through the praxis exams here in NC, so getting ANY position in Social Studies is tough, I'd imagine even tougher for someone who isn't a licensed teacher yet.

Since you already have your bachelors, with beaucoup credits in social studies I'd actually recommend doing a post-baccalaureate, graduate certificate, or MAT degree in secondary or middle grades social studies. NC has programs through its universities that can be completed traditionally OR ONLINE (several state universities offer this option). You would have to complete a student teaching experience though, which can be completed in your local district and observed physically or through via Skype-like programs by your university supervisor.

You can then take the Praxis II exam in Spanish to add that certification onto your license (as well as many other subjects and levels [elementary, middle, secondary]).

All in all, I started a grad certificate program (online) in August 2011, started interning in August 2012, and had two job offers by November 2012. I am a 7th grade social studies teacher.

I'd at least look into all of the state universities and what programs they offer, like I said some are entirely online, and then make a decision from there. You can always sub while getting your teaching credentials this way.

4. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 16, 2013

I was hired lateral entry 2 years ago. I was halfway through my MAT program. My degree is in math. The school hired 2 lateral entry math teachers that year and one last year. I think Wake County is difficult to get into. Try the low-income schools. I was told not to work at my school because the students had a ton of behavior issues but I have loved working there. I think it is possible to get hired lateral entry. You just have to find the right school where the Principal is willing to take a chance.

5. New 2 NC

New 2 NC New Member

Jul 16, 2013

Thank you both for the advice, it does seem that the way to go is to start a prgoram this year and look for a job through out the process.

6. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 17, 2013

I would definitely try and talk to a principal and maybe someone who can help you from within the army itself. I feel like your situation would be different because of your service. (you may have an easier time getting a job) Especially with you being bilingual.

When I was in college there was someone in my student teaching program who had just gotten out of the army, so maybe you will have to get a traditional certification too. Not sure. Good luck!

7. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Jul 17, 2013

Thank you for your service!

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2013

Have you looked into private schools and not just public schools? I know the private school where my mom subs loves teachers with PhDs and not necessarily in education. You have a lot of valuable experience that can help you in the classroom. Private schools might be more likely to see that.