Triple Dipping!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tootgravytrain, Aug 6, 2012.

1. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

I'm sure many of us know plenty of double-dippers. In Ohio, there is no laws preventing it and boy is it played like a fiddle.

Interested to know if any of you ever knew someone who orchestrated a TRIPLE DIP? Oh, Oh, I do, I do!!!! (Arnold Horshack imitation - hahahahaha)

Oh yea, the guy played it perfectly. Here's how he did it. He "retired" as a veteran principal/superintendent. Instantly, he got hired in at another local school as a superintendent. Now here's where he played it like a fiddle while already double dipping.

He made himself a pain to the school board who hired him, long story short, on purpose because he knew of ANOTHER superintendent job locally. They got so fed up with him after two years they paid his last year of his three year contract just so they could get rid of him, then he went up the road and began ANOTHER superintendent job!

So, already collecting retirement, one year of a buy-out salary, and earning a third salary at the new job! We calculated that cat was making near 300,000.00 that one year and only working ONE job!

Can anyone beat that one? That's a true story by the way. I'll never forget the picture in the paper when he was coming out of the building where his office was after the board bought his last year out and he was headed up the street for his new gig as a triple-dipper. You could see his s**t-eating smile for miles!

3. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 6, 2012

Oh my! I know of one on a much smaller scale! Frustrating for those of us that are honest!

4. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

Not bad work if you can get it! hahahah Oh my God - it was so obvious that my dad following it in the paper pointed out to me what he was up to. My brother seen it to. Hell, if we seen it. Well anyway, upper level education politics. Gotta love it.

I really would love to know if anyone else ever got that off on that level.

5. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Aug 6, 2012

He's robbing everybody else with his ethics.

6. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

Well, he got the triple-dip off for a year, then spent the next 7 or 8 double-dipping. Lots of double-dippers in Ohio, and that's a major reason our retirement system is in shambles because of these gravy trainers.

But, it's "legal." Unethical as hell, but legal.

7. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

I should say it's legal in Ohio, to clear up my last post. I'd really like to hear if other states do allow it aside of Ohio. I've personally written to legislators registering my complaint about it.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

I know that this happens in not just the education world. Police and firefighters are doing this as well.

Since I live near two different state borders, many will collect a pension from two different states as well.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 6, 2012

Yes, this happens A LOT in Ohio. It is a shame,yet it isn't limited to the education world. As mopar said, it happens in other government jobs as well.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 6, 2012

I get why this particular man was bad for doing what he did, but I don't get why double dipping in general is unethical. Did those people not earn their retirement checks?

My husband is a government employee. He will retire relatively soon. I'm sure he will be hired by a subcontractor right away, which will put him doing the same basic job he does now, but for more money. He'll draw two checks at once. He'll earn that retirement check by sticking with a low-paying job with poor benefits for 30 years. If he doesn't work for the subcontractor, someone else will get that job, with less experience and the same amount of $$$ will still be paid out by the state. Only they'll get less for their buck with the second guy.

My father retired from the military and then went into private industry where he retired again later. He earned both of those checks and I don't know anyone that thinks what he did is wrong. Why should an educator that puts in his time be any different?

There are laws in NC to prevent abuse - people retiring then continue working the next year as if nothing changed. That doesn't happen here. Teachers have to wait several months after retirement to even be subs in the system. If you want a full check for teaching like you had before, you have to come out of retirement. But there is nothing stopping them from doing a different job in the educational system, like being a super or even a bus driver.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2012

I agree- I have a lot of cops and firefighters in my family and I never considered what they do after retirement to be unethical. Their pensions are great, but often they're not enough to actually live off of, especially if they still have to worry about a mortgage, kids' college education, etc.

The OP's story was unethical because of what they guy did purposely getting them to pay off his contract while he went and worked somewhere else.

12. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

in NC they can come and work at a charter or private school for a regular salary and still collect their full retirement too...

13. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

Look, I know that many teachers, firefighters, cops, pubic service people retire at a relatively "young" age. Like me, I can retire in less than 5 years, but the reality is that if I do, I'd be forced to get another job (one kid later in life - bought house later in life). I'm not against going out after retirement and working because you're right - our retirements are NOT the golden gravy train some conservative politicians would have you believe.

And I don't consider THAT double-dipping, like the officer from the prison I teach at who now works at Home Depot after he retired. What IS double dipping is the seemingly familiar "retire-rehire" I constantly read about even just here in our tiny region of the educational world. Justification typically used? "Oh, we just can't find someone with THAT kind of experience that we really need!" Phooey!

Hell, I know of another superintendent who has been retired for like 7 years and is on his third different superintendent gig since! And the guy was a millionaire before he retired (through different sources other than education of course).

I know of a guidance counselor who retired like 15 years ago and just now the board said "OK, that's enough" because someone caught on to it.

14. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Aug 6, 2012

Oh BooHoo cry me a river

Double or triple dip. If you do a job then you should get paid.

My father in law retired from the Navy, a federal shipwork job, and worked long enough to get social security (which they took most of because of the other two). The operative word here is, he worked for it. Did not sit at home and collect SSI, food stamps, disability, WIC, section 8 housing, help w/ electricity or other subsidized "gimmees".

He earned it. Get over it. All your examples (except the first) required someone to work for it. Actually earn it. Sorta' deserve it. If social security is still around when I get to be SS age I'm going to take because I WORKED for it since I was 15 years old. I earned it, and noone is going to make me feel guilty about earning my state retirement along with my SS simply because they didn't earn it.

And I WILL be double dipping until I die.

So there.:crosseyed
    TechnoMage
    :|

15. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Aug 6, 2012

By the way...

Retired teachers in SC who still work at teaching are:

At will employees w/o grievance standing.

Get 10-35% less pay than other working teachers.

Still pay into the state retirement system and get no further retirement credit.

Cannot carry sick days from year to year.

Can be replaced at the whim of about anyone in the system.

Usually get the worst possible assignments.

But there are still a lot of us doing the jobs we love.

Starting in Dec this year no retired state employee can make more than $10,000 w/o losing retirement which has already been EARNED.

That's why I call this wonderful state SC (state of confusion).

TechnoMage:dizzy:

16. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 7, 2012

Why the belligerance? Double dipping in Ohio has contributed to almost wrecking the retirement system to the point that now it has to be revamped and thanks to that we get to work longer for less. Your state and others may have a firm grip on it, but Ohio is just now waking up to the fact that the system has been abused for decades.

Who is making the implication no one works for it?

I'll say this for one superintendent here I know - he retired and got rehired the same meeting, but he's wforking for "pay only" - no benefits. He said because of the dire financial situation his district is in, it would be "bad politics" to "double dip" in the classic sense and I admire him for that. He knows the problem and sorry, but it IS and has been a terrible problem in Ohio.

I think maybe I didn't clear up the term (as we know it in Ohio) "double dip." It's NOT retiring as a teacher and going on to substitute work for peanuts and no benefits. It's these gravy trainers who "retire" and rehire as if nothing changed, and draw retirement while working on a second one.

It's NOT retiring then going to work in a new profession - that's not what I mean by "double dipping." Ohio's school funding system is an antique, a relic of the past, and we just don't have the money anymore to prop up people who want to pad their pockets at the expense of those of us playing by the rules.

I don't know how to better explain it.

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2012

Like everything else, the laws are written to help those at the top and cut out everyone else.

You say that in Ohio, a superintendent can retire, and go back to work in the same job and collect two salaries. But can a janitor do that?

Probably not.

18. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 7, 2012

Boy I don't know. That's probably true Sarge. Like I said, we can retire (teachers) and go back and sub. No teacher, bus driver, janitor, aide, etc that I ever heard of can retire then get rehired on the classic 'double dip' side. I'm pretty sure the State Teacher's Retirement System doesn't allow that. I know the Public Employee's Retirement System doesn't allow it.

What makes upper lever education establishment immune to get it off - I'm not sure but it happens a lot.

19. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 7, 2012