trip to zoo - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by bondo, Feb 9, 2011.

1. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 9, 2011

I am considering a trip to zoo in the spring. I want to know if there are any other teachers who have done this with Kindergarteners. I am not sure why I am hesitant but atoz comes through so let me know what you think. Thank you.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2011

I went years ago when I taught k. Our first grade goes to the Bronx Zoo. Take plenty of reliable chaperones.

4. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Feb 10, 2011

I do it every year. I love it! We sing the song "We're Going To The Zoo." Take chaperones, but assign a few kids to each, or they just end up yakking while you chase children. :) Bring snacks and waterbottles, and avoid the gift shop.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2011

I was actually a chaperone for K &1st grade that went to the zoo. Planned a trip to the zoo with 1st grade when I taught!!! It went pretty well... we had one child who really should have had an aide to himself (I kept trying to push for one) & parents couldn't go. Luckily, I had someone take him with my cell phone number. Although had a MAJOR meltdown screaming could be heard throughout the zoo!!! That was our only Big thing that went wrong.

6. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 10, 2011

Thank you for your input. I have a handful of parents I can rely on and they will be a big help. I am going to go ahead and move forward with this idea. Thanks again for your support and insight.

7. kristiS

kristiS New Member

Feb 11, 2011

My children's teacher took the students to the zoo and they made the cutest shirts to wear to the zoo. The children painted a brown circle, then stamped with darker brown paint around the circle, and then the moms drew on an eyes and mouth with black paint.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2011

I took my group last year and it was great. Parents are so excited about kinder fieldtrips nearly all want to come (and I teach in a low-socio school). So I was left with 2 or 3.

I have a rough groups this year so I've made the decision NOT to go. I'll miss not getting to go, but it's not a good idea with this year's group.

9. gigi

gigi Groupie

Feb 12, 2011

I have taken kinders to the zoo, it was a great experience. I had plenty of parent chaperons which helps. We all wore our school t shirts and that helped with keeping an eye on everyone. If you don't have school t shirts, you could suggest everyone try to wear the same color.

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2011

yes i second using the same color. it helps wonderfully!

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 13, 2011

yup we go every year to the zoo, the kids love it!

12. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Feb 14, 2011

Both of our K classes go to the zoo together every spring. It is about 1 1/2 hours on the bus for them. They take plenty of parents to help out. I think the thing that makes it really easier for them is they buy t-shirts for all the students in the same color and decorate them in class so it is really easy to keep an eye on the kids.