Trip on cover letter?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Apr 22, 2012.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Apr 22, 2012

Hey I will be out of the country for 3 weeks. I'm currently applying for jobs and I was wondering if I should put a short note at the bottom stating what dates I will be in another country and I apologize ahead of time if I'm contacted since I will have limited phone and internet access)? What do you think? I don't want to get a voicemail and then not be able to call them back until i'm back in the country.

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2012

I would definitely put something in the letter, because if they try to contact you without that knowledge, they may feel you aren't interested and it could look really bad. But while you're gone, I'd make every effort to get to a computer often!!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2012

Can you find a trusted friend or family member who would be willing to take messages while you're gone? They could relay the message that you are out of the country to potential employers and get the messages to you as quickly as possible.

I feel like if you put it out there that you won't be available for several weeks, potential employers will pass over you to someone more convenient.

5. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Apr 22, 2012

I like the idea of a message person. Last summer, I actually was passed over for a couple different interviews because I was at work and couldn't return their call until several hours later. By that time, they'd already called other people to set up interviews. I was shocked that they'd already skipped over me in less than a day.

You could also put something in about email being the best way to contact you until such & such a date, and then be sure to visit an internet cafe or connect to your email in some other way to check in.