TRINOMIAL CUBE ALGEBRAIC Presentation

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Little Flower, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Little Flower

Little Flower Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Could any one assist me with the order in which the cubes are removed and the order that they are set up on the table BEFORE they are returned to the cube.
    Is there any online resource that might show an image of this ie the way the cuubes are set up before they are returned to the block. I am being examined on this and struggling.
    Thank you very much.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2010

I'm so sorry, I have no idea what you mean.

Are you taking about factoring the sum or difference of expressions to the 3rd power? For a college algebra class? Or physical cubes for your kindergarten class?

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2010

S/he is talking about a montessori material called the trinomial cube. It's the 3 dimensional representation of (a+b+c) to the third power.

http://homepage.mac.com/montessoriworld/mwei/sensory/strinom.html

I know what order we use it in our classroom. Are you talking about an early childhood presentation or an elementary presentation?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2010

Sorry I couldn't be of some help, and I'm hoping the link will get you the info you need.

But I've got to admit: I'm totally befuddled.

The link included raising (a+b+c) to the third power-- multiplication of polynomials-- something I covered last week with my Honors Freshmen.

Yet the link says this lesson is intended for 5-6 year olds.

Do they really understand the concept as it's presented??

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2010

The 3-6 yr olds I work with use it as a puzzle primarily. When they get into the older grades, usually in the 9-12 yr old level, they actually start working on algebra and go over things like this.

My son is in the equivalent of the 5th grade and has started algebra this year. He's been doing geometry since he was in 1st grade and will more than likely do a bit of calculus next year in the 6th grade. It's just the difference the montessori materials make for the children, I think. Having a 3 dimensional representation of any abstract mathematical concept they're trying to learn always makes it better for kids. We just do it at an earlier age.

7. Little Flower

Little Flower Rookie

Dec 5, 2010

Trinomial Cube

Thank- you everyone who responded to my post. Tracy the information and link on the trinomial cube was very helpful.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2010

It's amazing what you can find online! Enjoy!