Tried-and-True Vegan Recipes?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jun 25, 2014.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 25, 2014

Anyone have anything to share? BF follows a vegan diet and I promised him I'd try some recipes if I could find some good ones!

3. physteach

physteach Companion

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 25, 2014

Favorite vegan meals in our house...

Tacos made with Smart Ground instead of meat. Finely chop 2-4 medium mushrooms and sauté in a little oil. Add smart ground, taco seasoning and a bit less than the 2/3 cups water the packet says to add. Heat until it's all blended together and serve as you would regular tacos.

Indian burritos - mix together 3 tablespoons of oil with a teaspoon each of curry, chili powder, turmeric, coriander, cumin, a bit of chili paste for heat, 2-3 cloves garlic and 1-2 teaspoons grated ginger. Cube tofu and cook in a skillet with about a tablespoon and a half of the mix you made. Then in another skillet sauté carrots, peppers, peas and corn with the rest of the mix. Carrots take longer to cook so sauté them first for 2-3 min, the add peppers for 2-3 min and then the frozen peas and corn for about 2 min. Serve with rice in a burrito. Or skip the burrito and serve with naan.

I like this lo mien recipe
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lo-mein-noodles-2/detail.aspx

I made this for dinner this week and it was very yummy
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ginger-veggie-stir-fry/detail.aspx
    (I added chili paste and garlic to the sauce)

Enjoy :).

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2014

Curries, daal, stir fry, tomato/avocado sandwich, spaghetti, oh and in the USA there was this cheese substitute called "veggie shreds" that isn't great raw but REALLY good melted. You could make some vegan pizza with that.

People think coming up with vegan recipes is hard, but take any recipe you know and just take out the meat and animal ingredients! Know a good grilled meat recipe? Replace with portabello mushrooms! Know a good pasta recipe? Just take out the meat!

I'm a fan of the website www.theppk.com Instead of using weird replacement ingredients, they use "regular" foods that can replace non-vegan friendly foods. Like in baking you can use applesauce instead of eggs.

6. Portulaca

Portulaca Rookie

Jun 25, 2014

I love this recipe for curried tofu:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/05/ridiculously-easy-curry-scrambled-tofu.html

In my opinion, the secret is to squeeze the tofu hard in your hands, a handful at a time, so the water is released. (It crumbles, but that's fine.) Then put the dry tofu in the pan to soak up the delicious, delicious curry sauce as it cooks. I usually use kale and sundried tomato, or whatever other vegetables you want. If you add a little oil and the Indian black salt (which has sulfur in it) it tastes astonishingly like eggs (if that's a plus for you). I think it's delicious in a tortilla as a breakfast (lunch, dinner) burrito.

I like to make pizza too; if you don't want to use vegan cheese really well-carmelized onions work to make a sticky base layer for your other ingredients. I like olives, garlic, bell pepper, basil, sundried tomatoes. Or if you want to use red sauce, just fold it over, close the edges and cook it more like a calzone so things don't slip around.

Most soup and stew recipes adapt really well. I really like vegetable-flavored "Better than Bullion" in a jar. Like lucybelle said, there are vegan recipes that bake with applesauce. If you're looking for something without sweetness, look for recipes using ground flax. It gels up exactly like eggwhites when you add hot water. If you want non-sweet cornbread to eat with chili, etc., which is my preference, I like this:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-cornbread-115929
    It's a little delicate when it first comes out, but after a few hours it sets up just like regular cornbread.

For blogs, besides Fat Free Vegan (although I'm far from fat-free) I like Oh She Glows and like lucybelle said, theppk.com, although I haven't cooked much from that one yet.

7. Portulaca

Portulaca Rookie

Jun 26, 2014

8. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 29, 2014

Do you or your BF have any vegan cookbooks? My sister-in-law has written vegan cookbooks. If you want to know more, just let me know!

9. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 29, 2014

I made vegan brownies once that were really really good. I tried to look up the recipe I used, but sadly I have no clue what blog I got it from.

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2014

There are tons of great cookbooks out now. Isa Does It and Appetite for Reduction, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz are both full of easy, tasty recipes. I tested for both of them and enjoy them both a lot. They are good basic general cookbooks with a wide variety of recipes. Theppk.com has a bunch of recipes from all of the authors cookbooks to try.