Tricky wording on applications - Highly Qualified Status

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Mar 15, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 15, 2009

Here's a tricky part of the online teaching applications in my area (Chicagoland):

Please provide the information requested below.

Have you previously obtained Highly Qualified status from a school district? Yes No

If Yes, what type of school district considered you Highly Qualified? K-12 K-8 High School

------------------------------------
    For the subject areas below in which you meet the federal highly qualified standard, select the method used to meet the standard. Only select a method for those subjects in which you meet the federal highly qualified standard.

And then it goes on to list the subjects and you check off if you are considered Highly qualified through passing the Basic Skills test, through passing a specialized content area test, whether it was your undergraduate or graduate major, or...some other reason.

Here's my question:

Certainly i passed (in fall of 2007-in preparing to return to teaching as a elementary school teacher)the basic skills (Paxis) test. And through it, and on the state's teacher Certification page, I AM considered highly qualified in those areas.

Previously, I taught (K-8 music) for seven years before taking time to raise my family. I had great qualifications, results, and recommendations. Though this was BEFORE NCLB and the classification of "Highly Qualified". (HAD the distinction been there before- I certainly WOULD have been considered Highly Qualified)

So I DO fill out the second section to say that i am HQ through testing...but it's that FIRST section that gets me.

My certification is currently K-6 Elementary Ed, and K-12 Music Education. If I say that NO school has considered me HQ..then I think that's an AUTOMATIC DUMP for my application. But if i check YES, is that a lie? One that would lose me a job?

ALL school districts emphasize that they ONLY hire HQ teachers...

DANG IT! I need a JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!

To click yes or No... THAT is the question!

(Thanks for your help!)

3. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Mar 15, 2009

I hate online apps for this very reason!

I don't have any answers for you because I'm having the same problem. Mine says "Have you received a letter from the state saying you are HQed?"

No, but I am! I have to take a basic skills test they only offer in May. I've taken all my Praxis, have a certificate in another state, and have a Master's degree in my endorsement area.

I figure that admins searching for applicants will not even look at people who do not have HQ status. Why would they?

So I'm concentrating my current efforts on two districts who accept only paper applications!

Good luck!

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2009

Have you tried calling Human Resources to ask for their assistance with the applications?

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2009

This is straight from the government:

"Highly Qualified Teachers: To be deemed highly qualified, teachers must have: 1) a bachelor's degree, 2) full state certification or licensure, and 3) prove that they know each subject they teach." OK - you HAVE to have all three to be considered highly qualified.

Determination that you know the subject matter:

"Demonstration of Competency: Teachers (in middle and high school) must prove that they know the subject they teach with: 1) a major in the subject they teach, 2) credits equivalent to a major in the subject, 3) passage of a state-developed test, 4) HOUSSE (for current teachers only, see below), 5) an advanced certification from the state, or 6) a graduate degree."

Your state will have a different determination for elementary school teachers, so I'd look that up on the DOE website. Also, states have their own determination for MS/HS teachers - in Florida, even though I have a degree in my subject, I still had to take the test in order to be HQ.

I'm NOT highly qualified because right now I have temporary certification - believe me, I feel your pain on this question!

So, McKennaL - in your case I would have to say you answer the first section no. If you have no documentation, you can't say yes. What I would do, however, is contact the state and see if they will issue you a letter stating that you are considered HQ.

6. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 15, 2009

McKenna...I called the Kane County ROE. They were absolutely wonderful in answering that question. I was somewhat confused as I graduated in 1996 and wasn't sure what the qualifications were for such status. Call them...I bet you do qualify. :) Good Luck!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2009

Just wanted to say HIYA jw!!!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2009

I agree that you should call the DOE in your state...they are the ones who should know best whether you are considered HQ or not.

9. Sirius

Sirius New Member

Apr 13, 2010

I wound up calling ROE about the same thing. They were very nice in answering for me. According to ROE, this question means that someone from the district has actually sat down with you and calculated your highly qualified status. If that hasn't happened, you are supposed to answer "No" to that question. She said it is a minor question, and answering "no" won't hurt you. They can look up your status.

Sirius

10. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 13, 2010

Could you call the district that you worked in before and ask them to give you a form saying that you are NCLB compliant?

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 13, 2010

(I'm a little amazed that a few of my year old plus posts keep coming back. hehehe)

From where ever you are... DO CALL YOUR REGIONAL OFFICE OF EDUCATION!!

I see that the teacher in michigan was told that she would NOT qualify...

I was told I DID.

Call to make sure what they say about YOU! Don't take anyone's word for it. Get it straight from a county clerk who can check YOUR status!!

12. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 13, 2010

I agree to make that call and sometimes it may require you to take a test to be HQ. I moved from FL to TN last year and had to take Praxis II to be HQ in this state. Now in FL, they'd consider me HQ after 1 year of teaching. Go figure!