tricks for tying shoes?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by prinjess82, Aug 26, 2008.

1. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I am looking for some good ways to teach my first graders to tie their shoes. I can't spend a lot of time teaching it, but i have parents requesting help with the task. It is difficult for me to understand why some kids just don't get when they understand everything else!:) Any ideas would be great! Thanks.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 26, 2008

4. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Wow! You are much kinder than I am. I do not think that is a teacher's job and I would kindly let them know so! I have never even tied a shoe for a student. I tell them to ask a buddy. Kid's love tying shoes for other kids.

I barely have enough time to get in all of the reading, writing, math, science, social studies, art, etc...

Good luck. I hope you find a good resource.

5. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Yeah..I don't really tie shoes either, but I am trying to find helpful hints to help the parents teach their kids, since they have yet to figure it out. :D Alot of parents don't like the fact that " I don't tie shoes!"

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2008

I tell my students that I do not tie shoes. I am there to teach them.

7. traveler

traveler Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

I taught myself how to tie my shoes when I was little. My mom liked the way I did it so much she had me teach my little sis. Basically instead of doing one loop and wrapping the other lace around and all that, I made two loops and twisted one under the other. Wow it is hard to explain. I of course eventually learned the"correct" way but I have taught lots of kids the 2 loop way.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 26, 2008

I remember playing with an oversized cardboard "shoe" in kindergarden. It was a flat peice of cardboard, roughly the shape of the sole of a shoe, with a lace wound through it like a shoe would be laced. We learned how to tie laces by practicing on that shoe. Maybe you could have something like that available for early finishers? Other than that, it's really not your job. Unfortunately, kindergarden is no longer kindergarden, but that's where it SHOULD be taught.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 26, 2008

I think shoe tying should be taught and is a fine motor skill. For the teacher who says her job is to teach.... learning to tie shoes is a big deal for little kids! they will feel so grown up to be able to do it and should learn how!

I haven't started teaching first graders yet, but I am guessing I will do the little shoe tying rhyme with them when they need their shoes tied. I also like the idea of other kids getting to help them.

10. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 28, 2008

ditto

11. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Aug 30, 2008

I also ask another child to tie their buddies shoe for them, but I often do it myself. I feel like it's just one of those things that comes with teaching First grade, and "teaching" encompasses a lot more than the core subjects!

However, I offer a small prize to a child when they learn to tie their own shoe which often helps speed the process along! I also found a foam shoe with laces at Dollar Tree and put it in a center for them to practice with.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 31, 2008

I have them ask a friend. Boy laces drag across that peepee floor in the bathroom. eeeww

13. busybee

busybee Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

That's the bunny ears way! I learned that way.

14. busybee

busybee Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

I agree with you that it is part of being a teacher of 6 year olds! I think I may have a contest with my class this year. I'm going to make a large shoe on a poster board and write something like 'I Can Tie My Shoes!'. I'll involve families in the process of teaching the kids how. Whenever a student is able to tie their shoes, they will show me. Then they can write their name and the date on the shoe poster. This way, others who have not learned yet will know who does know how and they can ask that person for help next time theirs are untied! Who knows, maybe they'll end up teaching each other how.

15. traveler

traveler Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

I like that idea BusyBee. Thanks for sharing it.