Trick or Treat?!? How many actually showed up @ your door tonight?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rebel1, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2009

I counted 27. Some of my neighbors were sitting infront of their garages handing out the candy. I decided to sit on my front steps & it made it easier for Hubby to keep the dog inside the house and stop him from barking everytime the door bell rang.:D
    It's a pretty cool night and it's neat chatting to neighbors. I walked down to an old couple's house and traded some Reeses Pieces & Kit Kats for some M & Ms with nuts.:cool:
    How was your Halloween this year?
    Rebel1

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 31, 2009

We didn't have very many kids...I was sad, it's my first year giving out candy...

4. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 31, 2009

Zero.

Zero every year. We're the only couple with kids on our block.

5. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Oct 31, 2009

Even though I had all my outside lights off, I still had three sets knock. I did not hand out candy due to my son being sick.

6. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Oct 31, 2009

3 groups, 7 kids total. But that is triple the number of knocks on my door from last year! :)

7. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Oct 31, 2009

Hubby thinks 100 kids. We bought 3 bags of candy and have none left. 1 bag was from Sam's.

8. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 31, 2009

Zero. :(

I think all the kids in our apartment complex go elsewhere to do their trick-or-treating. There are always kids around but none came knockin' tonight.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2009

It rained off and on. All of my trick-or-treaters came withing 30-40 minutes of each other (between showers).
    I had at least 70. I had 4 bags of candy (about 20 in each), ate a few waiting for them to come, and ran out.

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2009

Hubby bought two BIG bags of mixed Kit Kats & Reeses Pieces, which totaled about 150 pieces & I gave almost all of them away. He asked me, "How many pieces did you give each kid?" I was like, "3-5.:D That's what you bought them for!" It was either give them away OR I'll end up eating them.:(
    Rebel1

11. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Oct 31, 2009

We had 33 kids not including my own little princesses. ;) My girls had a great time with hubby. I passed out the candy and was, frankly, bored for nearly 2.5 hours. I freaked out about how much candy to have so I ended up buying another big bag from Target today. I have TONS left. In addition to candy, I handed out little Playdough containers. My girls thought that was awesome-- so much, in fact, that they played with "their" containers for nearly an hour tonight.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 31, 2009

None for me. I don't know if kids in my area do that much anymore. They may walk around the malls where it's safer. I've stopped handing out candy for the last 20 yrs. I live right behind a park & I hear some kids out there now.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 1, 2009

I had about 15 or 20. That is a lot compared to last year. I had very few until 7:30, and then a lot came all at once, like they got out of a party or something. I got rid of all my candy and started on toys.

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 1, 2009

aww . . . we had zero also. I love when the kids come, but we are at the top of a big hill. Usually the kids on our street come, who are also from my school.

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 1, 2009

According to my sister, there were quiet a few, even though we had our light off. My husband and I were out doing some shopping all day...first at an indoor mall, then outdoor. There were tons of kids there getting candy from the stores though, so many cute costumes!

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2009

About 120.

Party still going across the street and I can't sleep. Bugs me they have little kids up past midnight watching their drunk parents. Hope they don't drive those kids home to bed.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

We probably had ballpark 100 - 120 or so.

The rain at about 8 pm, combined with both the Yankee game and the Islander game, probably cut down a LOT on the teens out late.

18. Ross

Ross Comrade

Nov 1, 2009

Every year we have around 100 show up. This year only 25. Where did they all go?

Perhaps the World Series along with awful weather was the reason.

Every one of the kids had on a great costume.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 1, 2009

one set (2 kids). :(

The only reason we had them is because the little girl is in my class and she lives up the street.

20. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Nov 1, 2009

Sadly, nobody came. Now, I have to get rid of all my candy before I eat them all.

21. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

When I lived in my single family home we could EASILY have 275-300 a night.

But here, two blocks away-in the townhomes- we never have any. It makes it easy not to eat candy, because i don't buy any. I figure if anyone comes I would get something from my pantry (a box of Jello? a can of green beans? ramen noodles?).

22. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 1, 2009

Zero. But living at the end of the cul de sac without the porch light on does an awful lot of deterrent.

23. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 1, 2009

We had somewhere around 100. A lot of kids recognized me from my previous school, since I used to teach in the neighborhood... it was good to see some of them again.

24. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 1, 2009

None! :( I was all ready for them too. I saw some up the block a couple of times, but maybe parents were just letting them go to homes where they knew people, I don't know.

I did get a salesperson which I thought was very deceiving-dressed up (and I thought aren't you a little old for trick-or-treating) - he was selling magazine subscriptions! :eek: I guess they knew most people would open their doors last night.

25. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 1, 2009

Around here so many churches do trunk or treat, some of the schools have carnivals, and the city has a haunted house and lots of other activities that there are almost no trick or treaters. The kids do a few houses for the experience and then go to whatever activity was planned. Also, since it was a Saturday, several kids had parties at their house and skipped door-to-door completely.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 1, 2009

LOL about the salesman!!!

We didn't have any kids come either. That's 4 years in a row!!!!

27. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Nov 1, 2009

We had 38. More than I expected. I was giving out pencils, play-doh (to the smaller kids, which most were), and erasers. I have 3 pencils left out of 40 and one I did not give a pencil. I figured, if kids didn't come I could save the treats for next year. The play-doh was left over from last year. The parents seemed happy to not get more candy for their kids.

28. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2009

Wow, I thought we get a lot!

I always hand out juice boxes. I started when we moved here and they get such a great reception from the kids that now we're known as the "juice box house." I bought 4 cases from Sam's Club - 40 in each case. After 2 hours, dh had to go on an errand (I had the kids out), so he shut off the lights. We have 4 juice boxes left. So, my best guess, unless dh was horribly thirsty, is that we had 156 kids.

Oh, and it rained from 8 oclock on, so I think that reduced the number of kids pretty dramatically, especially the teenagers.

Kim

29. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Nov 1, 2009

This was my first year at my home. My best friend and her hubby brought their little one to my house to go trick or treating. I had about 15-20 kids show up at my door! I was excited because my parent's house never has any trick or treaters!

30. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2009

That is what I call CREATIVE selling! :D Avon sales people should have done that. One year when my children went out TOT/ing they brought back some pamphlets about focusing on believing in God instead of believing in Halloween stuff, etc. It made sense BUT I just wanted some candies to eat during my break @ work. One year they got so much candy that I gave some to a homeless guy. Hubby told me, "That was nice BUT now you have made him face a much bigger problem of having cavities and not being able to see a dentist!"
    That killed the spirit of helping out,:(
    Rebel1

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 1, 2009

I posted earlier (had no T or Ts), but in the park we live on the side of, some people were playing music till after 2am. This rarely happens BTW.

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

We had fewer than 50, down a lot in the past few years. We only had 1 after 7:40, so the lights were off before 8:30.

33. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

1 small child with his grandma! :( then 2 groups of teenagers. We usually go through 2 bags of candy. I only bought one this year and my family harassed me until I went out and bought another one.

We carved our pumpkin and decorated. It was like having a party and nobody coming. :(

34. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 1, 2009

That's how I felt too-and you had to just wait and wait to see if anyone showed up! I had an area blocked off for my puppy, so she wouldn't be able to get to the door, but I wanted to see how she reacted. Normally she's very sweet to kids, but just for my own knowledge wanted to see if the costumes changed that. She gave up too a little after 8:00 and wanted to go in her crate. :yawn:

35. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2009

I had over 100 kids - a lot of parents bring their kids to TOT in my neighborhood because it's safe. Bit of a downer, though - one little girl, after I put a Snickers in her bag, turned to her mom and said, "I don't like this neighborhood. They're stingy - the last 4 houses only gave me one piece of candy!"

Someone was handing out mini toothbrushes and toothpastes - and all of the real little kids were showing them off and asking if I had any!

36. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Only four kids, but that's about what we get every year.

37. goopp

goopp Devotee

Nov 1, 2009

We had about 100 or so. I expected a lot more, but it rained all night so a lot of kids didn't go out. My kids went to almost every one of the 300 houses in our subdivision, so we have plenty of candy. I'm glad that we are collecting candy at school for a children's hospital, if it all stayed here I'd eat it and that would not be good.

38. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 1, 2009

I was out supervising trick or treaters so I am not sure of the exact number but a five gallon bucket full of candy was given out by a stingy sixteen year old (he wanted to have lots of left overs!) so I think there were lots!

39. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 2, 2009

We live 5 miles outside of town on a dead end gravel road with only four houses on it. Our driveway is over 1/4 of a mile long and you can't see any buildings from the road. So, we don't have any trick or treaters. I took my kids to town to TOT and talked to one teacher that lives on the main drag. She had already had over 100 and we stopped at 7:45. Makes me glad I don't live in town sometimes.
    What gets my goat is these teenagers trick or treating and they don't even attempt to make a costume. They are in jeans a t-shirts. Come on kids, if you want some candy, put on a pair of boots and a flannel shirt and be a cowboy or lumberjack. At least make an attempt.

40. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 2, 2009

We had close to 100. By 9:00 we were all out of everything. But we had tons of BIG kids(middle and high school) and even a 3 week old baby! Good grief. We also had parents holding out their OWN trick or treat bags. Now how greedy can you get? How can I say-"kids only" without getting TRICKED???

41. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 2, 2009

I saw some adults do that. If they had been dressed up, maybe I wouldn't think so badly of them..... or maybe not.

And if teenagers and adults trick you because you wouldn't give them candy, call the police!