Trends You Hate

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 26, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

Sorry... i went out on errands after I wrote that.

Yes... I told my son he is going to have problems due to the way he has had to walk (now for about 3 years) due to wearing his pants so low. And later I remembered the term...hip dysplasia.

(sorry if anyone took that wrong and became offended.)

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 1, 2009

So glad mullets went out of style ages ago, they're disgusting!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

Have all of these. Love all of them. My glad sandals are quite feminine though, not Russell Crowe Gladiator-like at all.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 1, 2009

Now the new style w/ nails is matte nail polish. How many of you like/dislike that? Some things I just like shiny & glossy & this is one of them.

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

Oh...I see the confusion. :lol:

Hip dysplasia is what my son will get for wearing his pants low.

But what i meant in saying that it's not the trend around here any more is the STYLE of wearing your pants so low.

(I don't think hip dysplesia could be considered trendy. :p)

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 1, 2009

Matte nail polish just means not frosted, doesn't it? I prefer matte colors, or what I consider matte colors, but always get a shiny clear topcoat.

7. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Nov 1, 2009

I agree and was thinking the same thing. I'm more annoyed with the trend in my school (and possibly district) to discourage snacking. I eat a very healthy and filling breakfast before I leave home at 7:00 and by 10:30 my stomach is growling. Our lunch isn't until 11:30. I wouldn't make it without my snack but I have to sneak it because my principal has strickly forbidden snacking for the students.

Every health article I've read encourages snacking (6 small meals a day) as a way to combat obesity not cause it. I have no issue with placing limits on the type of food brought; but to forbid snacking is foreign and ridiculous to me.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 1, 2009

I guess it all depends on the snacks. My school provides snack but it is usually filled with sugar (egos and syrup, toast and jam, etc...fruits or vegetables are rarely given as an option.) which is not the best thing since over 90% of our students are diagnosed with ADHD or ADD. Luckily, my students have enough lunch so that I make them choose the most nutritious snack from their lunch. If they don't have a snack I will give them yogurt.

9. Sciteach9

Sciteach9 New Member

Nov 1, 2009

lol
    That's almost as ridiculous this rumored law in Massachusetts that forbids people from crossing state lines with a duck on their head.

Continuing with the topic, I hate social networking sites.
    If I want to talk to or see someone, i'll call them or meet up with them.
    I don't need to see someone making faces and taking pictures of themselves, and I'm not self absorbed enough to do that myself.
    I also don't need verification of social worth through the number of "friends" I have. Finally, I would like to avoid having people snooping around in my personal info.

10. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2009

Facebook...ok I get it, a good place to stay in touch. But when someone is always stating what they are doing...does anyone really care? Here are some examples of what I have read that some of my friends have posted"

"I am making tacos right now." Ya, like I care!

"Tom just walked in from work and we are about ready to sit down for dinner." Ok, what is the point in telling everyone that?

"LouLou ( a dog) is sitting here watching a movie with me." Yipee for LouLou.

I could go on and on. Please tell me what is the point of these comments!?!?

Needless to say, I rarely go on Facebook anymore.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 1, 2009

That's one of the reasons I love Facebook, actually. My friends from high school were always really close. It was a boarding school, so we were used to being around each other 24 hours a day. When I graduated, there was no Facebook or Myspace. Now that there's Facebook, it's like we're all still in the dorm goofing off together! Same with my college friends. My closest friends are scattered all over the world, so Facebook is the only way I would ever be able to stay as close to most of them. I love it!

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Those meaningless updates annoy me as well.

I gave in to Facebook over the summer to better connect with my younger sisters, and now I'm up to a whopping 27 friends...two were added because I felt bad ignoring them, three are friends from high school, and the rest is family. My family posts some of the most ignorant comments politically speaking. My sister in ninth grade is so dramatic in her posts: will he ever speak to me again? life sucks. i wish people would grow up. it's been three days, fifteen hours, and ten minutes since he's called. And my sister who is in seventh grade is posting three and four updates a day about topics just to make her seem mature, but her efforts are so transparent. Worse, she has over two-hundred photos of herself. And I'm not exaggerating. She took them all herself. It's just gross. Those stupid pucker-faces and the fake surprise faces? IT KILLS ME!

So I guess that is another trend I cannot tolerate: whenever I want to take a picture of my students they either throw up gangsta signs (and they're so not gangsta) or make stupid kissy faces.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

I hate that the 80s are coming back into style. I didn't like wearing the clothes that were fashion back then either.

Can't stand having words on the butt.

Skinny jeans. (though I'm sure if I were skinnier, I'd wear them)

Wearing black bras under a white/light colored shirt

High tops.

Thanks for the laughs on this thread though!

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 1, 2009

I don't get that hair trend where people have stripes of really dark hair and then really light blonde hair. I can see getting highlights that actually HIGHLIGHT the color hair you already have but I don't see the point of looking like a zebra. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or am I just nuts LOL

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 1, 2009

I am on Facebook. I have a total of 10 friends. Some of which are relatives. I purposely did NOT use my maiden name for screen name or whatever it is. I didn't really care to have any long lost friends find me. Low and behold I'm getting friend requests from everyone and their mother (and their mother's friends). It seems like some people do want to have a billion friends. It must make them feel special LOL I think one girl is trying to boost some website thing she's associated with so she adds friends then keeps sending them updates about this strange website that I want no part of. Very weird people out there!!

16. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2009

:spitwater:&:lol:Blindteacher!
    :D2funny!:)
    R1

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

I love using facebook to see what people from high school and college are up to now (and of course for Bejewled Blitz!), but some people take it to the extreme. My brother has like 600 and something friends and I wonder how many of those people he would be able to recognize if he ran into them.

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

twitter

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

I completely agree with you! I don't have an acct. I just don't really care enough to see what anyone else is doing....I have enough things to do rather then spend time on there seeing what everyone else is up to!:lol:

20. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Nov 1, 2009

I have over 600 friends...I have high school, college, graduate school 1, graduate school 2, and Teach for America people, in addition to my family. Do I talk to these people everyday? No, but it's nice to be able to get in touch with someone if I need to...

I like facebook, and I am a constant updater thanks to my blackberry.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 2, 2009

If you're taking about frosted meaning having that little metallic or sparkle in it, that's different. It's shiny/glossy vs a flat, matte finish, like w/ house paints.

22. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2009

I'm sorry the way I said it it sounded like I was talking about people in general, but I really meant that I know that there is no way that my brother knows that many people very well and just "collects friends" and "friends" basically everyone and anyone he runs across and can find a facebook account for. I didn't mean to insult you who they and am sorry if I did.

23. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Nov 2, 2009

No worries, I was just giving an example of why someone might have so many friends...

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 2, 2009

I just don't really 'get' the appeal of facebook. And I don't want pictures of me or my family plastered on the web. It must be just me ...... maybe I'm antisocial.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 2, 2009

Nah, it's not just you. I do have facebook but only have pics of my dog :) My sister has strict instructions not to post any pics of me either.

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2009

I feel like when I go to a family, school, or friend get togethers, etc.,I always find myself saying, "This pic better not show up on your facebook page". I really don't like the idea of pictures being taken and then having no control where they will end up, particularly when they can get posted online for anyone to see. I think it is an invasion of privacy for other people to post pics of you without your permission. I generally stay away from group pics because of it.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2009

Kinderkids, I absolutely agree with you! It's outright rude to post pictures of other people on social networking sites without their permission. My sister-in-law and I had a bit of an "argument" about this last year when I discovered I was on her public Myspace account. I sent her a light-hearted email saying, "Yeah, how about we take that picture of me off? :)" and she got all emotional about it. Just avoid any potential issues by asking first.

28. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2009

I agree! This one is worst than Facebook!

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2009

I'm with you Daisy!

The people I want to keep in touch with, I keep in touch with. And I have 3 young kids; I do NOT want their pictures or other personal info here, there or anywhere else on the internet.

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 2, 2009

I'm w/ you. I sure don't want myself, family, etc. to be shown to God knows who. Any rapist, pedophile, serial killer, etc. can see it all. No thanks! Now if one's acct is set to private, I guess that's another story, if that's what the person wants, but it's still god to be careful.

31. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Nov 3, 2009

Honestly, what is with the big-eyed, cheeks-sucked-in pucker with the bizzare hand signals (that likely mean absolutely nothing to most of the students using them)? I never would have thought of this, but now that you mention it, that drives me CRAZY!

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2009

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2009

34. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 28, 2009

Hadn't seen the cowboy scarf look yet, Ms. I, but it looks pretty d u m b to me.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2009

MrsC, I like most of the ones you posted there. I like the knit ones for cool weather style purposes, but I don't like those thinner fabric kinds that usually have a checkered design that look like you're wearing a bib that you wear during warmer weather w/ a tank top or t-shirt.

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2009

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2009

I like the one in the lower left corner. Hey! As long as you like them, that's great! :)

38. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 28, 2009

I have facebook too and only have a picture my friends and I taken when we were in kindergarten. I untag myself on any picture that my friends post of me.

39. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 28, 2009

MrsC, thanks for that tying options website. I also wear scarves sometimes, even the thin fabric ones, as an accessory.

I cannot get behind the checkered one tied bibstyle, though...

40. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 28, 2009

Blindteacher, it is so good to have you back, and with a sense of humor.