Trends You Hate

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 26, 2009.

1. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Oct 30, 2009

I vote for you to still get them. In the colder months (and I'll admit, sometimes even just in the cool months :blush:) I love my skinny jeans and my Uggs with them. It is all a matter of personal preference, how they look on you, and how you feel in them. Just like it's silly to follow a trend just because it is a trend, it would be silly not to get something you like just because a few people happen to not like them.

2. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2009

well I mostly mean like little dogs being dressed up and carried around in purses, but yes in general I am not a fan of little dogs. I would much rather have a great dane. :)

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 30, 2009

TV commercials for feminine hygiene products, any ads relating to gastrointestinal distress. 'Nuf said.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 30, 2009

lol...I also can't stand the male enhancement pill commercials....talk about creepy!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 30, 2009

Yeah, can't we go back to the old days and suffer in silence???

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2009

I just bought Jeannie- 9 yrs old now-two pair of jeans at JC Penney last week. They are low rise! Who in their right mind would make these for a kid??? I did not see that when I bought them or even when she tried them on, but now her skivvies are hanging out all above the waistband.

7. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 31, 2009

I just got a pair of Uggs loafers...and I love them. I HATE the Ugg boots, but the loafers have the warm sherpa on the inside and are amazingly comfortable (the best part is that I got them brand new at a resale shop for 30 dollars!).

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 31, 2009

I didn't know they had Uggs loafers. I don't care enough about fashion trends to care lol

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 31, 2009

I had a great time reading this thread! It made me laugh.

I'm very picky when it comes to the clothes I buy. The things I absolutely hate are cropped sleeves and low cleavage shirts. Hello, I'm fat. Cropped sleeves do not look good on fat people. Who in their right mind designs these shirts that are not flattering on us fat people? That's about all they sell during the spring and summer, and these are stores designed for plus sizes. The low cleavage shirts are just not for me either. I don't mind wearing a tank under a few shirts, but it seems like the line is getting lower and lower. I'm tired of having to wear a tank under every shirt I have. Even if I wear a shirt that is..um...tight in that area I am very self conscious all day long.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 31, 2009

I love the "Hello, I'm fat" part. My rolls are ROFL.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 31, 2009

I don't know if people still do this but I hate that trend where people would wear their sunglasses on the back of their heads. Do you have eyes in the back of your head?? No? I didn't think so!

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2009

I hate it when guys have to have to collar all the way up on polo shirts.

MissW-The low-cut thing bothers me, too. It seems like every shirt I have to buy I have to wear a tank-top or a cami underneath and then I always have trouble finding tank-tops or camis that themselves are high enough. Whenever I find some that work I'll buy them in a ton of colors.

13. Bogart

Bogart Rookie

Oct 31, 2009

I love, love my Uggs! I think those who say they don't like Uggs have never tried a pair on because I feel they are so comfortable. I wear them whenever possible...of course without socks.

I'm not really bothered by a lot of things, but I cringe when I see teachers wear "teacher themed" clothes. You know, the jumpers with apples and crayons sewn on and such.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2009

Oh, I love teacher-themed clothes! They take me back to my childhood. While I don't own any themed items now, when I hit forty you better bet I'll get me a set of apple, pencil, and school bus button covers. ;)

15. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Oct 31, 2009

I am loving this thread!

It bothers me to see people talking on cell phones and driving at the same time, especially when they cut you off and don't even know it because they are so into their conversations.

And I am also getting tired of the all-purpose comment I hear ALL THE TIME, "Oh well, it is what it is."

Well, yeah...:rolleyes:

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 31, 2009

I hate people talking on the cellphone in the library!

17. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2009

Guys with "steroid :rolleyes:challenged" looking chests and arms wearing tank tops. I just want to yell out, "Cover your oversized upper body! It doesn't match those short:lol:stumps you've got for legs!"
    Rebel1

18. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 1, 2009

Well lately for fashion, emphasizing the shoulders with pads or pointy shapes is just ridiculous.

The super strappy high heels, the boot looking high heel, and the gladiator sandal...yuck!

19. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

HAHAHAHAHAHA

"medical condition" :toofunny:

20. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

You know what *I* hate?

Snack at school.

You mean to tell me you can't WAIT 45 minutes more for lunch? Eat a better breakfast! (and we wonder why kids are obese)

In my LTS assignment we have the kindergarteners for 2.5 hours. We are SO busy with teaching to get them up to/exceed standards that there is no longer any play in kindergarten. And with interventions/reading groups/learning stations/etc...snack is pushed off to 20 minutes before they leave school (because if the kids take their snack to a station...your things get ruined and THEY don't do anything but sit there, munch, and look around). They really need snack 20 minutes before they go home???? But tell them no snack and the kids AND parents would start WWIII.

21. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

I give....what's "jerking"?

22. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

Hahahaha...oh man, I have thought this for years!

23. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

My son...ARRRGGG...is a boxer short-shower. I HATE HATE HATE it!!!!

And I pointed out to him...You know, I am watching you walk...and you are going to physically HURT yourself wearing those pants like that for years. You'll end up with things out of joint - or ligament problems with the way you have to walk to keep those pants from falling down to your knees.

i HATE it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(have I made myself clear?)

24. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

OH MY GOSH!!!

Haven't really seen that... but there are a few people at my church who, when not wearing their glasses will...not put them on the top of their head (normal resting place), but balance them above their eyebrows.

AAAARRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

What? You have eyebrows like LURCH?

It grosses me out!

25. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2009

:eek:THE SAGGY PANTS...:eek: What in the world is that all about? If they want us to know what kind of underwear you are wearing, THEN just wear them outside of your pants. I have told guys who have walked infront of me with their pants dragging, "Hey! Pull your pants up!" Hubby told me @ one time to shut up, but I just HATE IT! My son knew better than to try it while he was in HS and living @ home. He tried it one time and it brought out the DEVIL in me.:D
    It bugs the daylight out of me!
    OH! Another ONE...
    Women who shave all their EYEBROWS :eek:OFF AND THEN DRAW LINES ON THEIR FACES TO TRY AND PASS THEM OFF AS EYEBROWS!:eek:
    Who in the world are they FOOLING?!?

Rebel1

26. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

Hip dysplasia...

THAT"S the term I was thinking of.

That my son doesn't get that as he is older, I would be surprised.

And it's not even the trend here anymore. It's GROSS!

27. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Nov 1, 2009

Jerking is a new dance. The dance itself consists of moving your legs in and out called the "jerk", and doing other moves such as the "reject", "dip", and "pindrop". From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerkin

Here is a link to a tutorial that shows the kids jerking. It's pretty clean compared to the other videos about jerking on youtube. I would speed it to 8:25 min mark if you don't have time to watch the whole thing because this is where they start dancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1SlGk1-B5I

Also, because of Jerking, skinny pants are now a trend.

28. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

huh...well that's a new one on me. I like watching kids dance... well, DANCE...not have sex with their clothes on (ie: grinding into each other) on the dance floor

29. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2009

I have to diagree!! :unsure:
    I can't make it thought the afternoon without a snack!! I need that time to refule and get me through the day! I also think that the kids need a break....they are just kids.
    As for obsesity, if the snacks are healhty (which we highly reccomend) then I don't think it is causing any harm.

30. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Nov 1, 2009

Me. :lol:

31. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Nov 1, 2009

I'm confused. How can a medical condition be considered a trend?

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 1, 2009

I agree that I'd never consider a medical issue a trend, but maybe she means it's common lately in her area.

33. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Nov 1, 2009

I'm still a bit confused because medical conditions like hip dysplasia aren't the fault of the sufferers in the way trends are the fault of the wearers.

:confused:

Hopefully you'll clarify McKennaL. :)

34. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 1, 2009

It looks exactly like the kind of dancing we did in the early 90s :whistle:

35. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 1, 2009

McKenna said her son is going to end up with hip dysplaxia because of his low-riding baggy pants making him walk funny. Or so I think...

36. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 1, 2009

Yeah, I think the gross statement was meant for the low/baggy pants and that because of how her son wears his pants now, he is going to end up with hip dysplasia. It makes more sense if you read her earlier post and then the newer post.

37. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Nov 1, 2009

Right, I read the earlier post. And I did see the connection initially. The most recent post still sounds to me like the "gross" comment is in reference to hip dysplasia itself.

Anyway, I don't want to make this any bigger than it is. I just wanted to make sure the line was drawn.

38. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Nov 1, 2009

39. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 1, 2009

Our grocery stores and convenience stores do not sell alcohol here, but other than banks and some libraries everything else is open.

40. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

Words on the butts of sweatpants, shorts, etc. It's not a good look for ANYONE.