Tremendous Level of Disrespect

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by teachcandidate7, Jan 10, 2015.

1. teachcandidate7

teachcandidate7 Rookie

Jan 10, 2015

I need help! I am a first year teacher and I started mid-year. My students are the most disrespectful bunch of kids that I have ever encountered. I have rules and consequences in place and they show no regard. I give out infractions, call parents, write referrals but it doesn't work. The kids are rowdy, loud, disrespectful. They talk all through class. I have put students out and the other students still behave the same way. The principal has to come to my class every day since I have been there. I am overwhelmed and am wondering what options I have. I would have to get observed and get bad marks for bad classroom management. I have talked to the other teachers and they tell me that they've acted that way all year, but I feel that there should be a little more order now that I'm there as a permanent teacher. Should I try whole class punishment? Should I just send all of my students to In-school suspension? Someone please help!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 10, 2015

How many other subs / teachers were in that classroom before you?
    When I started my current job almost 2 years ago, it was in April. Their teacher got hurt and couldn't return to school and they had a hard time filling the position. They had 1 long term sub (credentialed, in the content area) who didn't have classroom management skills, so after 3 months they put her somewhere else. They had another long term sub who wasn't credentialed and had no experience in the content area but was great with classroom management, he was there before I got there for 3 months. Besides these 2 they've had countless day-to-day subs, most of whom didn't return after a while because they couldn't handle them.

When I got there they figured I'd leave also, so why get attached. Why not just make it hard so that i can leave already, like the rest of them, who 'gave up on them'? (their perspective).

It was a very hard 2 months. I made many mistakes, but the kids learned. I punished them, i gave them too many chances at times, but I've learned constantly and overall student learning was happening and I've succeeded.

When they saw me standing there in August, the beginning of the next school year, they figured I wasn't going to leave them, and it was easier. This school year has been another reassurance for them, and it's been even easier.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but it will be easier. Try to survive in the meantime. Get to know them. Put yourself in their shoes. Ask them how they feel about their school, about their classes, abut you. You can make it anonymous, where they write it on a piece of paper, without their names. Sure, you'll see some insulting and brutally honest/hard to swallow things, but you will learn a lot.

Nola likes this.
  4. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Jan 15, 2015

I'm nervous for you that the principal has come into your room every day. What do they think you should do? You need to ask them and then implement whatever they say.

Some people are not fans of whole class punishments. I am. Do it. They aren't respecting you now, so make them fear you. I realize this isn't fair, justice-minded, whatever. However, you can't teach them if they won't shut up. This is basic. I've had classes start as a huge disaster where admin needs to be in a room and I've broken them to the point that they are manageable and then built a better relationship/classroom environment later in the year. It can take months to get to a point where they are respectful and I can be respectful to individual differences.

I once had an admin who told me to control a class by "any means necessary." Most admins won't use that language anymore, but nearly all think it.

5. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Feb 4, 2015

It sounds like the majority of your interventions have been punishment/consequence oriented. Have you tried any positive behavior interventions?

An easy place to start would be to have them take an interest survey. Ask them what they like. It could be movies, pizza, extra recess, etc. Then set up a system where they earn that particular thing. Let's say it's pizza and that they need to earn 100 tickets this month to earn the pizza. Then as you're teaching, distribute tickets tickets to on task students. When the end of the month comes, no tickets means no pizza. They just have to watch their peers who did earn it enjoy it.

You could also looking into PAT which is a Fred Jones idea.

Also this link is helpful: http://opi.mt.gov/pdf/MBI/14SessionIV/AR/ClassroomPBSPlanningGuideLoriNewcomer.pdf

6. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Mar 7, 2015

My friend and I both started mid-year. My class was already in-tact, with a long-term sub. Her class had been formed by taking students from the other three already established classes and throwing them together to make her fourth class. She tried doing everything positive first, and it all failed. They just steam rolled right over it, or it worked for a week and then back to chaos. Basically, she just shut it down by any means neccesary. She took away recess whole class and made them sit on the wall, she sent them to Buddy Room, she yelled if neccesary. Basically they just realized she was serious, but could would give positive rewards when they earned it, so slowly they got better. Now she just has a few problem kiddos, and she deals with them more one-on-one now. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure, but sometimes you just gotta act like a mother lion and not back down.