Trello

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JimG, Jun 24, 2018.

1. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jun 24, 2018

Does anybody have experience using Trello or Kanban boards for lesson planning?

I am currently laying out the units and lessons for a new class I will be teaching in 2018-19, and I decided to use the Trello app/website to ‘plan my planning’ so to speak. In the board, I have a column each for Units to Plan, Units in Progress, Lessons to Plan, Lessons in Progress, Lessons Completed, and Units Completed. It has really helped me to lay out, visualize, and focus what I need to work on, and the ability to set due dates and get email reminders 24 hours before has helped me hold myself accountable.

What REALLY sparked my interest, though, is the vision I have to use Trello for day-to-day lesson planning in my high school mathematics classroom. I envision using the column headings Prep, Print, Create Warmup, Upload to Classroom, Grade, and Done. Each lesson (e.g. Geometry 1.1) would start off as a card I create in the Prep column with a due date as the day I plan to teach the lesson. I would then drag and drop it from left to right as it goes through those titled stages of the lesson planning, presentation, and assessment process. Syncing it to my Google Calendar would show each task on its due date and the stage it is in. This way, it would be easy to visually see at any given time what I need to work on, allowing for better prioritization of my work load.

So, who else has used a tool like Trello or a Kanban strategy, and how did it work for you? Or, if you haven’t, what other unique or visual strategies have you used to manage your work load?

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 25, 2018

I like using Trello a lot. I use the free version. It is great for To Do lists, schedule at school, calendar, and so many things. I haven't used it for Lesson Planning although I could see how that would work well. I use Microsoft Excel as that is where I have done lesson planning for years. I have many old and favorite lesson plans stored on that format. Also we need to hand in lesson plans electronically. I am not sure if Trello would be good for that as my principal might not use Trello. Are there any other teaching items that you use Trello for besides Lesson planning?

4. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jun 25, 2018

I, too, use the free version. All of my actual resources are on Google Drive, but I intend to use Trello more to track my progress. There is nothing like having so many things on your to-do list that it is overwhelming to determine where to even start. However, most lessons have the same type of work flow that I described with the column headings I will use, so using the board in the Kanban fashion will give me the big picture of my tasks and where they are in that flow.

I have tried using Trello for simple to-do lists (shopping, packing, chores, quick reminders, etc.), and honestly I have not liked it for that purpose. For those, Google Keep and reminders on Google Calendar are my go-to's.

5. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jun 27, 2018

Well, after playing around with Trello for a week or so, I have decided it just isn't going to work for my daily use. There were just too many parts that did not play well with my Google Calendar and Google Drive files.

However, experimenting with it did lead me toward coming up with my own system that I can use within my calendar which I will discuss in another thread.