Treasures, Reading Street, & Big Cat

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MMRbella, Jan 9, 2010.

1. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jan 9, 2010

Hello everyone. :)

The district I teach in has been using Open Court Reading Program for at least 30 years (K & 1st)... they're looking to change the program for next year. I understand that many of you are not fans of "pre-packaged" programs, however, the district is insistent upon it.

I am a member on the selection committee, and we've been provided with 3 choices- Treasures (Macmillan/McGraw Hill), Reading Street (Pearson), and Big Cat (Pacific Learning). I have attended presentations from all 3, and now has come the time to decide which one I'm going to vote for.

If you use (or have used) any of these programs, I would greatly appreciate it if you could please share you opinion of it- strengths and weaknesses. :)

Thank you in advance!

3. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 9, 2010

We use the Treasures Reading Series in our elementary schools. I can speak for the kindergarten curriculum, and not the first grade (sorry). The kindergarten curriculum is okay. It goes slowly, and I don't really like to workbook accompaniment. There needs to be additional reinforcement with phonics. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

4. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jan 9, 2010

We use Treasures as well. It is okay, but what I don't like about it is that it always focuses on several skills each week. I prefer to focus on one skill each week and review others. As mentioned before, I don't care very much for the workbook either.

This is for fifth grade, but I believe the structure is the same across all the grades.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 9, 2010

I have the unique experience (I think...) of using both the 2nd grade and K curriculums from Reading Street. My opinions are... mixed.

When I used the 2nd grade curriculum, I LOVED it. I thought it was appropriate and I enjoyed ALL the aspects (spelling, vocab, comprehension, grammar). The kids loved it too.

In K - my feelings aren't as hot. I think Kindergartners need more focus on letter and sound ID and the literature in K isn't as great... I find myself supplementing the K program MUCH more than I did in 2nd - then again, I like that because it allows me to add my personality and meet the needs of my students.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2010

I teach 1st grade, and we use Reading Street. Personally, I like it for my grade level. I have heard some of our teachers, in upper grades, make some complaints about it. For first grade though (I don't know about the older grades), I really like how spelling/phonics, reading & comprehension, and grammar all flow together. I like how they have linked everything. I do adapt some things, but overall I do like it... That's just my opinion, though...

7. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Jan 10, 2010

I'm in 1st also and use Reading Street. I like it fairly well. There is SO much stuff to squeeze into the day though--especially on day 3. A lot of my colleagues that have been around for a while complain that the Phonics isn't strong enough--they prefered Saxon Phonics. You also have to supplement, and sometimes just change, the centers they suggest. Often, there isn't much for the kids to do. I don't mind this but some teachers do.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 10, 2010

I used Reading Street for kindergarten to sixth grade. I liked it ok. This year I am piloting Story Town (same company has Story town) in kindergarten. I really am enjoying it. I find it easier to use then reading street. We also, looked at Treasures but didn't go with it. It seemed like to many materials.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2010

Yes, the book is overambitious, and you cannot get through everything, so some things you just have to skip. I, too, supplement and change some of their suggested center ideas.

10. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jan 10, 2010

I know that Treasures has wall cards, does Reading Street have them as well?

11. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

My school just adopted Treasures this year, and well, it's a love-hate relationship. They have so much to do in a week and a day, there's no way to cover every new topic. They provide ideas for centers, but my kid's didn't get anything from them, so we've had to make up new centers. We also ordered the MAP assessment tests, which are waaaaaaay too hard for 1st graders. So we have gone to making up comprehension tests each week over the main story. Ask me next year once I've had it for a year, and I might like it better. Also, I hope you have a good writing program already, because the writing/grammar sections are not the best. Good luck in your decision!

12. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 12, 2010

My school is using Treasures for the 2nd year. I agree , LOTS to cover-not all dev. appropriate in my opinion. Plus, I have been told, pick and choose. BUT almost everything introduced is tested-on the weekly or unit tests! I also don't feel there is enough time to review before expecting mastery. There was an earlier thread that had more information about Treasures. Some posters shared some great resources! They have helped!:)

13. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 13, 2010

We use Treasures and it's just OK. They do provide ALOT of stuff-almost too much to use and manage. The phonics aren't great-I still supplement and we were also told to pick and choose each days activities because you can't do them all. So even though we are all using the same kit, children are learning different things because we don't all choose the same activities to do. Does that make sense? The thing that also bugs me about Treasures is that each unit has a theme and I might not be working on animals when that unit comes up. All their books and activities are animal related. It is the unit for January and I am not teaching about animals right now, but Treasures is.