Treasures Reading Program

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by COMrs.S, Jul 2, 2008.

1. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

Hello fellow third grade teachers!

I wanted to know if anyone has utilized the Treasures reading program. My district is switching for this upcoming fall and I wanted to know how it is implemented as far as how much time it takes everyday, when to do small groups etc. Any suggestions would be nice! Thanks! :)

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 2, 2008

My district just adopted it too! So I'm reading with great interest as well!

4. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

Treasures

It will be our 3rd year using Treasures. Let me know if you have any specific questions. It comes with a zillion components - do not try to use them all. My school uses the guided reading books ( they are wonderful!)as the focus and the anthology as an anchor. We do a lot of small groups and have rotation schedules. 1 group is teacher guided ( usually a reading group) another may be working independently on workbook pages ( there is a lot of differentiation going on), 1 - 2 groups may be working at a center or computer ( maybe listening center) It depends on how you set it up and if you have supplemental help ( assistant, learning center inclusion help, etc.)

5. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I really need help with how to organize everything. I tried to plan all of the six units with the school calendar and there isn't enough time to get them all finished. When planning it to try to fit all six units, I put in no breaks or anything and I did add the 6th week for each each unit. I'm not sure if it would be better to work really well on 5 units or try to fit 6 units and not finish it.

Also, I don't know how to organize each day. I looked it over and I would like some sort of timeline for each thing. My assumption is that this series is taking the place of our spelling, writing and grammar instruction. We have to have our small groups first (I know this odd) then we have a recess break then I have an 80 min block for whole group and all of the other components. I really need like a daily pacing guide.

Sorry this is soooo long.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

6. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 20, 2008

our district just adopted it this year too.

I haven't looked at the books any longer than the inservice I had. but if you're worried about running out of time for the block, you can always do extensions on writing.