Treasures reader...help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teachgirl19, Aug 23, 2011.

1. teachgirl19

teachgirl19 Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

Ok...so I'm a new teacher this year AND we just got the treasures book at school. I need some sort of guidance here....what do you do with the stories? I also use vocabulary workshop books for their vocabulary words. The students have 12 words in that book plus I have another 8 from the reader.

This is what my I kind of have so far for the week:

Monday: go over vocabulary, read the small story before the main selection, go over some practice book pages, and do the writing prompt. (I will also follow the grammar that goes along with the book)

Tuesday: do vocabulary activity, read main story (small group or large group), do comprehension activity, writing activity, and grammar

Wednesday: I'm kind of stuck here. I don't know what I want to do with the reading for this day. I have vocabulary activities, grammar, practice book pages and a writing prompt.

Thursday: read the paired selection, do comprehension activity, grammar, review words and main story, and writing prompt.

Friday: quiz on vocabulary and story.

Thanks for the help!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Wednesday you could work on fluency: rereading the selection, reading a poem, working with the fluency passages

4. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

This is my fourth year using Treasures, and I still don't have down to a science yet... How much time are you alotted for reading instruction? Are you combining your writing instruction with reading? Usually, I split the main story up between Tuesday and Wednesday so that I can teach and model the comprehension skill for that week. I also teach and model how to do short constructed responses with the questions at the end of the story.

5. mrshollyc

mrshollyc New Member

Aug 25, 2011

I'm student teaching this year, and we use Treasures as well. We are setting up stations for Tues-Thurs. We used the benchmark to separate the groups, and then our stations include the flip charts: word study, fluency, science, social studies and writing. We then added silent reading and small group with teacher. Students rotate through the stations and check off each one they complete.