treasure chest

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Touchthefuture, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 16, 2014

do you still need a treasure chest for this grade? If so what do you put in it? I am coming from primary and I just want to understand this.
    thanks in advance!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2014

I WOULD NOT use a treasure box in grade 4. They need to start being more self disciplined...almost middle school!

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 16, 2014

I used a class economy in fourth that worked well. I had an auction once a six weeks and most items were no cost things.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2014

I don't think there's anything wrong with giving rewards in fourth grade. It could be a weekly thing. I also have a class economy system (used in third and will use it again this year in fourth) where students could use point for a treasure box or save up for something longer. As they got older at the end of the year they stopped looking for the instant gratification from the treasure box (they usually earned enough to get a prize there every week or other week) and would prefer to save for a month or two for something large (like ipad time or lunch with the teacher.) But there were still kids who needed and wanted that instant gratification. I had bouncy balls, pencils, mini pencil sharpeners, novelty erasers, book marks, etc. in it. A lot of it was things they could actually use instead of dumb little toys. But they do really like those plastic wrist bands so I put some in there.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 8, 2014

What is the problem with a prize box in general? I mean... even as adults, we are motivated by getting prizes.

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 11, 2014

Hello!

I am doing a raffle every two weeks. Children who have earned raffle tickets (by displaying exemplary behavior, making wise choices, clipping up the behavior chart, etc) will put their tickets in a choice of 4 pails every other Friday afternoon.

Things I plan to raffle off: Scholastic books (use points earned), seasonal pencils/pens, cool erasers, a "lunch with the teacher" coupon, a "no homework" pass, funky erasers, "free choice" coupon, etc.

I hope this helps!!!

8. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Aug 11, 2014

I do a ticket and raffle system as well, and for some of them, just getting the ticket and being recognized for their positive behavior or effort seemed prize enough for them based on their smiles and their increased motivation. Since raffles can be fickle with who gets picked out, I also reward those students who don't move their clip at all during the week with a small prize.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2014

I used a kind of treasure chest even in 5th grade. It was used for clean desk awards and for winning class games. I never used rewards for behavior in any grade.

10. TXTeacherW

TXTeacherW Rookie

Feb 14, 2015

I think this absolutely depends on your class. My students earn Scholar Dollars, and my first two years they were allowed to buy things from the treasure chest. I had one of those Sterilite 5 Drawers, and each drawer was a different price. The cheapest was 15 for a fun pencil. My first year was very immature group, so they enjoyed the pricier "toy" type stuff. My 2nd year was a little more mature, so they were all about the fun pencils and erasers. I also sold "privileges" like eating with me, using my chair, wearing a hat, taking off shoes, etc..... Both of those years I had a shopkeeper that dealt with all that. They knew when was appropriate, and I never had to deal with it. My 3rd year (this year) they are so immature and unruly, that I only allow them to purchase shoes off, eating with me, or sitting in my chair. They can't handle "the shop."

I subbed for a fourth grade class that students earned tickets and they were dropped in a piggy bank. Once a week (or however often) she would draw a ticket from the piggy bank and that kiddo could choose anything from the treasure box. I liked that idea, too.