Trayvon and School: politics aside!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachOn, Mar 29, 2012.

1. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 29, 2012

I am very curious what sort of reaction this issue is getting in schools, particularly among students.

In my affluent, liberal, nearly all-white school, the reaction has been ... zilch! No hoodies, no skittles, no signs, no buttons. Students have not brought it up in my classes (There were places in our discussions where it might have fit in.), and I haven't heard that it's come up in anyone else's. No mention of it on school email by teachers, principal, other staff.

It's kinda weird, I think. Any reaction at your school?

3. kme93

kme93 Companion

Mar 29, 2012

Same thing as you - none.

I teach in a similar demographic.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2012

I teach in a very small district. Our high school has about 230 students. I haven't seen anything nor heard any talk about it.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 29, 2012

I am teaching at an alternative high school. No reaction here either.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 29, 2012

I'm in a rural lower ses school, only a handful of students are not white.

We've discussed it in class (to address my listening outcomes, we watch the news and work on summarizing skills at the same time). But there is no response to the movement activities.

Student reaction to the news story is mixed. But, they are interested in the story.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2012

Well I teach in Costa Rica and I think my kids have absolutely no idea it even happened.

But I have seen pictures of "hoodie protest" from my university, an HBCU.

8. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 29, 2012

I am in a small district in the midwest (380 students prek-12). A few students have mentioned it in class, but that is about it for interest in this issue.

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2012

I teach in small rural elem. schools and some of my kids are
    talking about it. One little girl posted about it on FB (she is ten)

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2012

This is similar to what I've seen at my school, which is an urban school, low SES, 50% Hispanic, 40% Black, 10% Asian/Pacific Islander.

I haven't talked with my classes about it, but I know some teachers have. I've heard students mention the story and share their opinions about it, but I haven't seen any sort of action.

11. KateL

KateL Habitué

Mar 29, 2012

My school is about 85% Hispanic, and I haven't heard any of the students talking about it here. They did talk about Kony, though, when that video was going around.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 29, 2012

I teach in an alternative school in the suburbs. Very racially and economically mixed. Some minor discussion, but nothing major. My reading class has talked about it a lot because we do current events every week, and that was our topic this week. That's it, though.

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2012

None at all here either- I teach in a K-8 so although I wouldn't expect the elementary kids to know much I thought middle school kids might. The middle school is about 60% extremely affluent white students and 40% hispanic mostly very low SES students. The elementary is the opposite with 60% hispanic and 40% white. As far as I'm aware, we do not have any black students in the entire school.

14. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Mar 29, 2012

I teach at a mostly white school and there's been no talk of the situation. As KateL mentioned, Kony was big for about one day and like every other internet trend I'm sure only a few students even remember who Kony is today.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 29, 2012

I teach in a predominately African American school, and there has been no talk of it. In fact, I did not know much about it until I asked a colleague about it this morning.

16. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2012

I teach in an affluent school in the suburbs with mostly white students, and some Chinese and Indian students.
    There has been nothing here.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2012

None. I teach in a relatively diverse school.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2012

I teach math, so it wouldn't have come up.

And our kids are in uniforms; no hoodies in sight. (Skittles aren't even sold in the cafeteria.)

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2012

My school is near where the incident happened so we are getting lots of interest. When the subject comes up, I try to get the students to see that they have to look at both sides of a story before making a decision. They also need to learn that right now they are just hearing rhetoric from each side.

20. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Mar 30, 2012

I have been surprised to hear absolutely nothing about this at school. I have been following it myself, and feel like it is a big issue--but my students, 40% or so who are black--do not seem to be conversant with current events at all! Since they don't read the paper or talk about the news, I am reluctant to bring this up--even though we are talking about race and stereotyping in my classroom. It is something that I am kind of wanting to discuss but I'm not quite ready to, if the kids don't bring it up.

I really see how my students could be Trayvon--the way way people perceive them.

By the way, last year, I had occasion to call the police about a potential intruder, and the first question the dispatcher asked me about the guy was "is he black?"
    um, no, why?

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2012

Yet the flip side of it is that they can be so oblivous at times.

A week or two ago, two of my sophs were looking for a teacher they didn't know, to deliver something from another teacher. (Wait, I remember: it was St. Patrick's Day, and another teacher wanted to give Sue a candy treat.) They stopped me and asked me which homeroom was Sue's. I said I wasn't sure of the room number, but there were two black women teaching in this paticular hallway; Sue's homeroom was the first one they would come across. They were stunned that I referred to her as black. I had to laugh--and she did too when I told her about it. We're friends-- just as she would refer to me as 'blonde" I'm very comfortable describing her skin color to kids tryng to distinguish her from the white teacher in the next room.