Traverse City, MI Vacation

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rabbitt, May 20, 2017.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 20, 2017

My family (3 teenage boys) will be vacationing near Traverse City.
    Any things we must do or should avoid as it's overrated?

3. who me

who me Rookie

Jun 15, 2017

I love Traverse City area! Mackinac Island is a good day long adventure from TC. Fun to rent bikes and ride around the island. Lots of history on that Island. You can tour the fort and other buildings too. So many lakes around so water sports are great fun. There are lots of great golf courses all around there. Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes are nearby. You can FootGolf at Shanty Creek in Bellaire. Several places to rent paddle boards, jet skis, canoes or kayaks. There is a drive-in movie theater in Honor called the Cherry Bowl that's a step back in time. Interlochen has concerts throughout the summer. If you go to Mackinac you could cross the bridge to say you've been to the U.P.. If you like fudge go to Murdick's. You can watch it being made. It is also fun to see a Beach Bums baseball game. Hope this helps.

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2017

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2017

Yes, thank you! I saw the outdoor theater and was hoping it would not disappoint. How about family restaurants?

6. who me

who me Rookie

Jun 18, 2017

7. who me

who me Rookie

Jun 18, 2017

Not really sure about restaurants. I stay about 45 minutes away on Torch Lake. I am more familiar with the restaurants around there. I know there are plenty of chain restaurants such as Outback, Olive Garden, Bob Evans, and Cracker Barrel. Downtown on Front Street there are a lot of nice places to grab a bite. If you head north, Friskees on Rt 131(?) is a great stop for sandwiches, soups and salads. I also love the pub in the basement of the Perry Hotel in Petoskey. When are you going? Will you be there for the Cherry Festival? I went last year on an extremely hot day (4th of July) but, despite the heat, I really enjoy being there. Where are you staying? Hotel? Cottage? Campground? Will you be right in TC or outside of it? I always find it important to plan for everything... hot days, cold days, or rainy days. The rainy days are the hardest because everyone seem to crowd to all the same places. Hope you have a great time in TC. If you're flying in you might find it fun to read up on the airport dog. Some cute articles about that one! Enjoy TC and wish I could help more about restaurants. I actually live about a thousand miles away but I have summered in that area all my life. I am hoping to be there in August this year.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2017

Staying in a cottage within 15 miles. Plan on being there most of the time...boating, biking, wasting time. You were quite helpful.