Travelocity, Expedia, etc.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Emily Bronte, May 30, 2012.

1. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

May 30, 2012

Has anyone ever booked through one of these for flight and hotel for a short getaway? If so, what were your results?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 30, 2012

I booked a great vaca to Mexico a few years ago through bookit.com. A colleague also uses travelzoo.com.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 30, 2012

I used priceline to book a 1 night room for Atlantic City for the teacher convention. I named my price and they selected a hotel called The Chelsea Hotel. The place looked beautiful online but when I got there I found out I was not staying in the beautiful tower, but in a building attached to it that felt like an old motel that they had attached this tower to. The room had crappy furniture, the sheets had small red blood spots on them that appeared to be from bed bugs (although I saw none), a light fixture was broken, and finally the toilet ran the entire night. I checked in at 11:00pm after a 4 1/2 hour commute via public transportation and left by 6am just so I could get out of there. I barely slept and would never stay there again.

PS the reason it took me so long to get there was because I had to travel to New York from New Jersey just to take the bus down to AC. Took the same trip home.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 30, 2012

I have used expedia for flights in the past. However, I've since discovered that the two discount airlines I use (frontier and southwest) have cheaper fares on their own websites. Southwest doesn't even publish their fares elsewhere, and they're almost always the cheapest, plus no bag fees. Frontier has some really good sales every once in awhile if you can plan ahead. I already got my thanksgiving tickets for less than 200 round trip (about 1200 miles each way) because they were having a 25% off sale for winter travel.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 30, 2012

I used expedia for a hotel last year. No problems. It was a very nice stay.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 30, 2012

I use Travelocity and Orbitz all the time for planning getaways. I like them because you can select your hotels, which you can't necessarily do with Priceline. I've never had any problems with either of them.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2012

I've booked hotels throuh Orbitz Everything was as promised.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 30, 2012

I almost always use kayak.com to search flights. The thing I like best about them is they re-route you to the airline website where you buy direct from the airline. This means less fees if you need to change the date. With travelocity, orbitz, etc, it's almost always cheaper to just buy a new ticket than to change the one you already have.

With that being said, for some reason kayak is messing up for me recently. It misquoted flights and I was unable to buy tickets when I clicked on links. I ended up buying through travelocity, hoping I don't need to change dates!

I've never used those sites for hotels as I'm a hostel goer:)

10. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 30, 2012

I've booked through Expedia a lot - both hotels, cars, flights, and our cruise to Hawaii. I've been very pleased with the ease of booking, and all the services booked. I've also booked hotels through hotels.com. The had the cheapest price for the hotel I wanted to stay in and everything was as expected through them.

11. bros

bros Phenom

May 31, 2012

Expedia is good. I'm going on my first airplane flight this summer - going from EWR to Vegas. We were initially going JFK to Vegas, then wanted to change it so it would be a direct flight (and only a 45 minute drive to the airport). Because we purchased travel insurance with the trip, we only had to pay the $100 deductible to rebook the vacation.

One time we did a car trip down to williamsburg, VA for four days and stayed a fifth day in D.C. Everything was fine until we got to D.C. and we got to the hotel - something got screwed up along the way and we didn't have a reservation. Apparently expedia screwed up or something. We called expedia, they were very apologetic and expedia, to compensate for their screw up, paid the difference in price between the only room available in the hotel and what we were supposed to pay (like $150 for a room for four or something like that).

The only room available?

The penthouse suite.

$500 a night.

Expedia decided that they'd rather lose $400 than have an annoyed customer (or one who wouldn't use them again).

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 31, 2012

I have used Priceline 50 or 60 times. I have only had two bad experiences. Do your homework. Know what is available and what rating it is before you bid. I never bid on anything less than a two and half. I have stayed in some four star hotels for less than $80 a night in suites if I called them would have went for hundreds.

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 31, 2012

Very cool :cool:

14. bison

bison Habitué

May 31, 2012

I tend to look at all the travel sites and pick whichever has the best deal and I've never have a bad experience. I definitely second looking right on the airline websites as well because sometimes they have better deals, especially for short flights.

I usually book hotels through hotels.com. If you sign up with them, they have a deal to give you one night free after every ten nights you book and stay. I've used a couple of the free nights. Great customer service as well.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2012

I've booked through Expedia many times and I've never had any problems at all. Since Kayak has been around, though, I usually use them for flights. For hotels, I'll sometimes use Expedia to search for hotels, and then check out their own website.