Travelling During the School Year?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2012

So, in addition to the summer break, we have about another month off in holidays throughout the school year. Do you guys do any travelling when work's in session?

I'm certainly going to try to go on a mini-vacation, maybe two, meaning 3 or 4 days. I'd love to return to Vegas in the winter time so it's not so hot, plus, I haven't been there in a long time. There's some other places I'd like to go to soon too.

3. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

Yes, just started this year due to personal reasons and I so love it more than cramming a vacation in during the summer. Much more slower paced and relaxing.

4. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

I have missed two days when my sister had her baby, and a Friday when we went to the beach, but no, I just couldn't imagine doing that. I'm a little to paranoid, LOL.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2012

dr.gator, true!

LilyGirl01, what?! Never any weekend getaways?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

When it's not a Disney year, we've taken the kids away the past few times-- to Mystic Seaport in nearby CT. We do it during the days that overlap on Easter Vacation

Next year, I'm thinking that I would rather take them to Philly-- I had such a great time there with mom last week!

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 15, 2012

I love Mystic!

I'm hoping to do a weekend in Vegas in November for niece's 21st birthday. No solid plans yet and I'm not sure if I can take a Friday off since I started a new job.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

On breaks, dh and I usually plan a getaway. In February we went to a B&B in Vermont. Cozy and romantic.:love:
    I went to see a girlfriend overnight in Philly on spring break. We had TOO much fun...
    Already planning ahead for November Teachers Convention break.:D maybe Annapolis since dh is a USNA grad, we'd love to catch a football game.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

Never during the school year. Maybe one extended weekend one time, but nothing more than that.

10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

I am doing something that I would have never considered in the past. My daughter is a teacher also and scheduled her wedding for the Saturday before Thanksgiving. I will be taking the Thursday and Friday before off and then will have the week after the wedding off to recuperate. I seldom take off for personal reasons or to travel during the school year.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 15, 2012

When I was still a teacher, I never did. As a result, I missed out on a lot of fabulous opportunities to travel with my husband, who goes to a lot of very fun locations with his job. I regret that, immensely.

Therefore, now that I've taken another (year round) job I am not letting those opportunities slip by. Life is too short to worry about others before myself and my family. My husband and I are going on a long weekend in two weeks, in August we're taking the kids on a fabulous vacation, in October we'll go to Kansas City for the NASCAR race, and in January we're going to Jamaica.

I can't wait. :)

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

I have never done it before, but I plan on it this year.
    Originally, my birthday was during our Spring Break. They moved it back a week. I decided I wanted to spend my 30th with my family, so I will be taking a 2 week long Spring Break.

13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

I'm doing it this year! My grandparents want to take me on a trip to see where my grandma grew up (and where they met, got married, etc).

I'm usually stingy with my personal days, but I'm beginning to realize that I won't have my grandparents around forever, and I need to take this chance while I have it. Thankfully, my P is supportive an approved the days off.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2012

kcjo13, that's great! Yes, life's way too short not to take advantage of these opportunities.

I still want to go to the Mall of America for a shopping vacay & New York again maybe.

Has anyone been to the Mutter Museum at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia? I find it strangely intriguing.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

No. We went to the Michner Art Museum in Doylestown, and we saw the LIberty Bell and Betsy Ross's house. We also did a double decker bus tour. Mom is 81, and that's about all she could handle.

16. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

We delayed our honeymoon because we needed to move and I had to get ready for my first year of teaching right after the wedding. So over Christmas break we took our honeymoon to Italy! Such a nice break, especially in the midst of my first year. Can't really think too much about school when you're in Rome!

17. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

Sadly I had to miss several opportunities for weekend trips last year because I am in a graduate program and already have to take 1 Friday/month of leave to attend classes (8 days per year). Because of that, I felt I had to be really stingy with other days taken and save them for times when I was very ill or there were real emergencies (my grandfather's passing, etc.).

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2012

thirdgradebuzz, yes, I started year 2 of my grad program, so I'll have to stay buckled down too, but I'm in a totally online program & never have to drive anywhere, but the program is equally as rigorous & the exact program as those who have to drive on campus. But, I'll still try to do something as far as a little travel during the year.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

Oh, I don't take off to travel unless it's something like a wedding that can't be avoided.

I save any and all personal days "just in case."

But with all the vacations we do get, it's still possible to fit in a bit of travel when the budget allows.

20. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 15, 2012

During the breaks I usually go visit my in-laws with my husband. We live in California and all of them are on the east coast. Once we have more cash saved I'd love to go on a getaway to Mexico or somewhere exotic!

21. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 15, 2012

That's awesome!! How romantic!

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

Never if it involves writing sub plans! Otherwise, maybe during Christmas or Easter break we try to go visit my parents. I know that Thanksgiving of 2015 I'll be going to Phoenix for my Mom's 80th birthday.

I don't like to go anywhere over a holiday break. . .it's too expensive to board our dog.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

I agree-I hate writing sub plans!

My husband always wants to go on trips during the school year, but I say no. We have gone on trips during Spring Break though-but I think we've only done that 2 of the 5 years I've been teaching.

24. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

We do a week in Disney each April. We're booked for Christmas break and February break in Venice, FL this year and are considering a cruise next summer.

I am super cheap in all areas of life and travel is my one area of splurge. The planning and anticipation get me through the winter. :)

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

Usually when we travel it's to go see family. We also travel regularly during football season to attend home games for our favorite team.

However, our favorite pet sitter is having a baby next month, so I'm not sure we'll be travelling again soon.

26. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 15, 2012

We have the week of Thanksgiving off and I have taken a short trip the weekend before and come back on Tuesday or Wednesday before Thanksgiving many times. I've also gone somewhere the week or so before or after Christmas depending on how our break falls. It is much harder with two toddlers, but it is still doable.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

I usually save my trips during the year for Winter Break - usually down to the Keys or up to NYC for a few days.

This year, I might be missing the last two days of school to go to Alaska!!! :)

28. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

I am going to Disney with my sister in October, using personal days. But Christmas is the only time I would have the time to go anywhere and I wouldn't skip out on family stuff to travel.

29. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

I go away every spring break. I like to go somewhere tropical and relax for a week.

I always travel during the summer... there is just so much time, I can't pass up the chance.

This year I will also be travelling over the Thanksgiving long weekend to visit with family.

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

We aren't able to take time off to travel, so our only options would be Christmas or our break in March. In the fall, we will be making some weekend trips down to watch some of Lauren's games.

31. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

My hubs might have the opportunity to work in either Russia for 1 year or Canada for 8 months so depending on if he gets it and on when his vacations fall, we might have to miss some school days for that.

32. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 16, 2012

Since my family lives in another state, all of my "traveling money" goes to flying home. I usually go home for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and part of Spring break. Although I do have to pay for the ticket, since I stay with my parents I don't have to pay for anything but entertainment when I get there, so it doesn't end up being that expensive since I save on buying food, gas, etc. for that week. One of my friends and I always talked about going somewhere warm during our President's week break, but we just never worked anything out.

33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 16, 2012

Before I was married I'd sometimes go on a short trip over fall break or spring break, but I never did while I was married because we never had any extra money for things like that.

Now that I'm single again, several friends have mentioned trips during those other breaks. I'm older and get tired easier than they do, though. We'll see if I start going with them.

34. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

I've turned into such a germ snob that I don't like traveling anywhere overnight. I hate to stay in a strange place! Since I live in Iowa though, that doesn't leave much to do.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 17, 2012

Then I'm sure you'll "love" watching that new TV show coming up in mid-August called Hotel Hell where Gordon Ramsey visits all these hotels & improve them.

I hate germ too, but I sure don't want to stop living the life! :)

36. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 17, 2012

I've seen the commercial for that but I don't think that I could watch it. It would be just too disgusting!

37. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 17, 2012

There are some things I feel like I'm better off not knowing...I don't think I could watch it either!

38. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2012

We only get Thanksgiving and Christmas break.
    Those are peak business seasons for my husband....so no travels for us.