Traveling Teacher

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by CarrieB, Aug 6, 2009.

1. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 6, 2009

There is a slight possibility that I might not have my own room this year and I will be traveling. Any teachers out there have a tips or tricks to help stay organized and prepared? I'll either be teaching high school World History or US History (5 classes).

Luckily my school is pretty good about getting laptops to the teachers who are not in the same room all day (like special ed teachers who co-teach classes). So I'll probably travel with a laptop, but each room has projectors set up and connected with the desktop computer in the room, and I rely heavily on my porjector.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2009

Could you have a splitter put on the projector connection in such a way that you could simply plug in the laptop when you use each room? That would eliminate the necessity to log in and pull up your files.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

I traveled my first two years and taught World and US History too :). My first tip would be to meet the teachers whose rooms you will be using to establish some ground rules. For instance, some teachers will leave the room while you are teaching and some want to stay, can you erase their boards?, will they share supplies, and can you store materials in their room.

A few other tips:
    *find out it you will have a desk somewhere - my desk was in the copy room but at least I had one :)
    *overplan, overplan and have a back up plan esp. in regards to technology - you won't have the luxury of pulling materials from your desk if tech isn't working or your lesson runs short
    *buy folders and files for each class in a certain color and buy a crate for your files
    *if your school doesn't provide you with a cart, you will need to purchase some type of rolling cart
    *you will also need to keep files of necessary paperwork with you at all times
    *map out your route - will you have to navigate stairs?
    *have something for you students to do at the beginning of class like bell ringers, do on arrival or something else to give you time to get set up. The hardest part of traveling to me was you had to leave one class when the last bell rang, navigate the halls with students and get to class and get set up before the tardy bell rings. It is really hard esp. if you have students that need help.

I hope this helps and I am sure I will think of more tips. I traveled for 6 periods each day for two years. It was challenging but it certainly has made me a very organized teacher. The real factor that will contribute to your sucess is organization.

Good Luck

5. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 6, 2009

As a teacher with a classroom, I shared some wall space with the traveling teacher. You might ask the teachers if you can have a small amount of wall space.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 7, 2009

Adding to my tips -

*remember, the classroom teacher is giving up his/her room during his/her prep - this is just as inconvient to him/her as traveling is to you :)
    *sometimes the classroom teacher will not leave
    *travel with labeled supplies - your own stapler, tape, paper clips, folders, etc. . .
    *check to make sure you have the same technology in all the rooms you will be using - for instance, do all the rooms have overhead projectors, dvd players . . . when I traveled, only one room had an projector to use so on days I needed to use the projector I had to make sure I notified the AV dept to put on in each room.

Hope this helps

7. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 9, 2009

I travelled for a year as well. I did have a central desk in a planning room, but my ultimate travelling desk was a three tiered cart. This was my little "desk on wheels". I put turn in baskets on the cart for students. I had a little three drawer rubber maid storage caddy (about 1 ft high) for pens/pencils/calculators etc. I also had a crate where I kept the books/binders for each class. Lastly I had a file box where I kept files labeled Monday-Friday for each class I taught, this is where I'd put extra assignments.

8. roco07

roco07 Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

I traveled for two years, once b/w 2 schools, once b/w 4 rooms in 1 school. Go around during workweek and talk to each teacher! Get to know their classroom rules. As a general rule, I let kids eat/drink in class so long as they aren't disruptive or messy. This was not okay with one of the teachers whose room I used and I had to drop that privelege. Also, the kids understand if you forgot something. The best thing I found is to send a trustworthy student to the room you left the item in. I even had one student I sent out to my car because I'd left the markers they needed in my car! (Be sure that something like that gets cleared through the office though, or the student could get detention for trying to help you out). And technology will fail. I teach Government and one of my classes frequently had current events discussions as the projector in that room failed at least once every 2 weeks. So always have a backup plan.