Travel-related theme

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 19, 2009

I am just curious to see what you would do for a travel-related theme in a grades 3-5 classroom besides hang postcards and leaves from different places like I have had. I also have a city sign that is painted a bright blue that says JASZTALVILLE on it, four license plates from antique stores, a little model of Model T Ford, and some history-related memorabilia like a courting candle replica from the 1800s and a special Indian feather. I also have a bulletin board with the United States on it to peg places students travel across the country in books they read. I teach fourth grade. Perhaps one of your ideas can inspire me to do something different with my theme this coming year.

-Names for different bulletin boards
    -Reading group names
    -Names for different areas of the room
    -Anything I can do with decor

Does anyone know of cool travel-related decor online, too...? Hmm.

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 19, 2009

You could name parts of the room or activites or BB after the continents oceans. I know its not specific but my brain is on summer vacation too lately

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 19, 2009

Maybe you could incorporate the Interstate Road concept for your Reading Counts board. It can look like the interstate road and each kid can have a car marked with a different mile-marker value to represent the points they have.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 19, 2009

True. The surfboard theme for Reading Counts I've had has always been so cool with them, though! Maybe I can use the interstate for something else. Seriously, my mind is toiling about making the room different this year...

6. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

Not decor, but they could each have a passport and receive stamps in it for good behavior. A certain number earns them computer time, prize, candy, etc.??? Or class money that is similar to foreign money, or has eiffel tower on one, taj mahal on another???

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2009

I am not going to do anything much with a behavior incentive regarding my theme- also because we have a school-wide money incentive- but I appreciate your suggestion. I am basically just looking for decor ideas (and maybe names for groups). :)

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2009

What about naming the groups after the continents or different airlines? As far as decor goes - I got a couple of gorgeous suitcases at Hobby Lobby last year - they've got "travel stickers" all over them. I used them as my prize containers. (I was actually looking for a steamer-type trunk.) For wall decor, I used maps (laminated) like crazy, globes, and travel posters I scammed from a local travel agent. On my door last year, I had a picture of Earth, with different modes of travel depicted - a cruise ship, hot-air balloon, airplane, car, the space shuttle, etc. all on a dark purple background. Just some thoughts.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2009

I am a HUGE fan of Hobby Lobby. :) I definitely plan on going there before the school year starts.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2009

It's WAY too easy to spend money in there for me! LOL

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2009

I also thought of this idea- it's funny when I post ideas in my own posts- gather a bunch of pictures from the Internet, print them on photo paper, and make a collage. I could use the photos for decoupage, also.

Oh, and I need to give props to Jem :)
    I never realized she had this at Real Classroom Ideas-
    http://www.realclassroomideas.com/193.html

12. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I was just looking at Jem's travel theme idea. I LOVED the license plate idea but that site doesn't allow you to save the image (they want you to buy a plastic license plate).
    I found THIS site: http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/
    that allows you to customize license plates for free. I think I'm going to make one for each student, print & laminate and use them as name tags for their desks.

It's inspired me to do a Florida theme - FL license plates, a FL AR tracking board (draw a big map & the students can travel in cars from Key West to Tallahassee), FL flags, beaches, swamps, all kinds of stuff!
    Thanks for the inspiration!!
    :)

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2009

I've done the ACME website before, too. :)

Okay, Deb- it's cool you teach in Florida because perhaps you can inspire me to do something I haven't before. Tell me what you do as you develop your theme. I love the idea of the AR tracking board from Key West to Tallahassee- it's like my friend suggested towards the beginning of this post. Key West to Jacksonville may be neat for something for me, too, yet I live on the other coast in the Tampa Bay area.

14. ksullyg81

ksullyg81 New Member

Jul 28, 2009

I had an airplane travel theme with my third grade class last year I will use with fourth grade this year. Some language we used included: Air Traffic Control (line leader), Flight Crew (classroom jobs), Pilot of the Week, the schedule looked like a departures board in black and orange ( I used velcro to switch the subjects and times), "We are experiencing some turbulence" (cue to quiet down)... It was fun and easy to integrate all the subject areas with this theme... Most decor was homemade, although I did find some cute graphics for travel on DJ Inkers... Good luck!

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 29, 2009

I used an airplane theme several years ago too and we folded paper airplanes and hung them from the ceiling. I had a book with different designs for the airplanes, the kids loved it.

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

I'm going in Monday, so decorating starts really soon! :)