Travel Insurance?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LMichele, Aug 10, 2014.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 10, 2014

I just booked a 4 day, 3 night trip with my BF. I added on the insurance for $73, but I've never bought travel insurance before. We have 10 days to cancel, and I'm considering it. I'm such a "what if" worrier, but I'm not sure that much of the rider really applies.

Any advice? Do you take out travel insurance?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2014

If it's only $73, I would keep it just for the peace of mind.

4. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 10, 2014

I actually ended up just cancelling it. The reviews for the company Orbitz offered were horrific.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 10, 2014

It was quite useful last time we went on vacation and I was ill for 4/5 days of the vacation.

Could you purchase travel insurance through your union?

Here's what the NJEA recommends:
    http://www.insuremytrip.com/

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 10, 2014

Sometimes the insurance thing is more a matter of where are you going and when. Going to Florida or someplace in the Caribbean in hurricane season, trip insurance. Going to the same place at Christmas, who cares! Flying off to enjoy some snow in the middle of the winter, on a tight schedule, insurance probably would be helpful if in an area where snow storms cancel flights and you could spend most of the vacation in the airport. I would recommend a good provider, however, since insurance is only as good as the company providing it. Who wants to have a huge hassle and fight over every little detail. Nephew bought a house with warranty, and within days the water heater went. Although it was supposed to be $100 deductible, by the time the insurance company nickel and dime'd him to death, with a little price gouging on the side, the bill was $600. It does pay to know about the provider.