Travel Brochures

Discussion in 'General Education' started by agsrule!, Dec 19, 2011.

1. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Dec 19, 2011

I teach a below level reading class and thought that travel brochures would make for some short expository reading lessons. I've asked some family members who've recently done some traveling to collect brochures and to-go menus for me. I'm looking for some more lesson ideas to improve reading skills. What would you use them for?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2011

Do a vocabulary lesson on words that brochures tend to use, then have students create their own.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2011

You could have students plan a cost effective vacation using travel brochures. Maybe decide how to spend a day in a specific city.

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Dec 19, 2011

You could have students write about what activities from a brochure they would do on an ideal vacation. Who would they take? How long would the vacation last? What would their favorite activity be?

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 19, 2011

I make up questions on some pencil poke cards and put them and the brochures in a station. The kids really like them. I rotate them, putting some back in later in the year.

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 20, 2011

I would use them for working with the SQ3R strategy

Scan, Question, Read, Recite (answer your questions), Review (in general, but definitely if you couldn't answer your questions)

I would also extend the lesson into persuasive writing. Did this brochure PERSUADE you to spend your hard-earned vacation dollars for this spot/location/resort/etc? Why or why not? --- in the summer, I teach summer school computer applications 4-8. We create brochures for our favorite vacation spots. The students work to persuade their audience to consider THEIR spot above all the others that they might have collected. The assignment is a highlight of the class (that a number of students return to year after year).