Translation pls of CA budget

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Feb 14, 2009.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2009

Can someone translate this for me? This is the proposed CA budget being voted on. I haven't heard that anything has been passed yet though (I keep checking). I will include it in the body of this post, and include the link... Wat exactly does all of this mean for education (especially the last line). Thanks!

http://yubanet.com/california/California-Budget-Snapshot-February-14-2009.php

Prop. 98 Education

-- Prop. 98 NOT suspended, but funded at minimum guarantee level.
    -- Major reductions in current and budget years totaling $8.6 billion, but actual level of programmatic cuts is much less with deferrals, swaps, and other changes making up the remainder.
    -- Current-year adjustments:
    - Programmatic cuts: $2.65 billion.
    - K-12 cuts split 50-50 between revenue limits and categorical programs (categorical cuts are across-the-board).
    - No cuts to four categoricals: Special Ed., Economic Impact Aid, K-3 Class Size Reduction, and School Lunches.
    - Deferral (current-year to budget year): $2.8 billion.
    - Counting current-year appropriation toward Prop. 98 "settle-up" $1.1 billion.
    - Using Public Transit Account (rather than General Fund) for Home-to-School Transportation: $618 million.
    -- Budget-year adjustments:
    - Programmatic funding: about the same as current year (no COLA).
    - Cuts again split 50-50 between revenue limits and categoricals.
    - Same categoricals protected as current year (Special Ed., EIA, CSR, lunch).

-- Long-term stability for school funding:
    - Governor proposed to not recognize $9.3 billion owed to schools as Prop. 98 "maintenance factor" which would have been a permanent reduction, compromise package restores the $9.3 billion over a period of years.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2009

As of 10:00am Sunday, this all means nothing. The assembly still hasn't passed all the necessary bills, and it is not clear that the senate will pass them when they get there.

The Proposition 98 "maintenance factor" mentioned is money that was due education under Proposition 98 in prior years but withheld because of budget problems. Under current the law, it does not have to be paid back in later years, but growth in Proposition 98 spending is accelerated in later years. Look here for more information on Proposition 98.

Ultimately, this will all mean less money for K12 and higher education this budget year and next, and likely higher taxes. Exactly what the former means to you depends on what your district does because of the lower funding.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2009

Thanks Malcom, I appreciate that! :)