Transitions

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by RedVac, Oct 25, 2010.

1. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Oct 25, 2010

I teach a class of 3's this year and have a child that has an very difficult time with transitions. When we move to a new activity he just cries. I try to make sure to give him a warning so he knows it is coming, but he still has difficulty. I am looking for strategies to teach him to handle this better. Any suggestions?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 26, 2010

Multiple warnings... pictures or objects to help transition (a photo of the carpet or bathroom or some clip art of the center, whatever you're moving to)... sometimes I sing my kids through transitions, which seems to help.

I also try to make sure the schedule is as predictable as possible every day... we have the schedule posted on the board, and talk about it at circle time. I use it as a way to review what we did as well as what's coming up. But, unless there's something special going on, the basis of the schedule is exactly the same every day (table work, music, stations, circle, activity, snack, play, go home), which also helps.

4. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Oct 27, 2010

I have a 3 that did that too. I would see if you can get a visual timer and use it. You can set the timer and when it goes off its time to switch. It will also move as time runs out so its easier for the kids to understand. I have an iphone and downloaded a visual timer on my phone which changes colors and set it for everything. I also agree to make sure the schedule is very predictable.