transitions/keeping busy

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by mommyofiz, Sep 4, 2007.

1. mommyofiz

mommyofiz Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

I am new to teaching first grade (today was my first day!) For the most part the day went fairly smoothly but I am wondering what teachers do when you give seat work and the students finish before others. We haven't gotten around to getting books so I can't just tell them to read their book. I would LOVE and appreciate and tips.

Thanks so much!

3. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 4, 2007

have packets of worksheet type things for them to work on. I know worksheets are something a lot of people are against, but I personally love them. I think they're great review, and they're great to use for times like these (transition times). They can keep it in a folder.

4. mommyofiz

mommyofiz Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

I will definetly will try that tomorrow...thanks so much!

5. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Sep 4, 2007

Even tho they may not have books from the school library, maybe you could let them get a book each from the library in your classroom. I had the same problem today but my kids get to go to the library tomorrow so hopefully that will take care of that problem.

6. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 4, 2007

no problem:)

7. brandnewteacher

brandnewteacher Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

I'm curious - what are the arguments against worksheets? My students seem to love them and ask for more when they are done. I thought they were a good way to reinforce the lesson.

8. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Sep 5, 2007

I have a basket of seat work at the front of my classroom. It has a variety of things. Worksheets, letter tiles in a baggie to make words, lace around a shape, file folder games, and small word family flip charts. All the things are review. I feel this gives all my students something they like to do when they are finished. Each student likes a different thing.

9. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Sep 5, 2007

My CT has a small container in the center of each pod/group of desks with books in them. I think there are enough books for each child. Since behavior problems tend to happen when the students aren't busy, I think it's important to have at least 2-3 "when I'm finished" choices that don't interupt the other students who are working. Maybe you can put a few books into each container (if you have your desks set up this way) for the first few weeks of school and then start adding other choices like writing in your journal, finishing other work, etc.

10. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 5, 2007

"They're just busy work"

I think that's ridiculous. In my opinion, worksheets are very valuable. Though they may seem like "just busy work", they're a great source of review and practice! Anything that's gonna help the kids practice what they have learned isn't "just busy work". My class seems to enjoy them, too. :up:

11. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Sep 6, 2007

I have a sign up that says "quiet work choices". They may get a book off the shelf, a flat puzzle to bring back to their desk or they may get some blank paper out for drawing & independent creativity things. They are to do these things whenever they are finished with work before the rest of the class. It seems to work out well for us.

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 7, 2007

I think worksheets are fine as a REINFORCEMENT and not as just a LESSON. We do worksheets pretty often, but it's after a lesson. We do them in Math almost daily after a hands on activity, and lately we've been doing them often during social studies because they are reading/identifitying places on maps. They also do a worksheet for morning work that reinforces a phonics/math/grammar skill.

When students are finished early they have been getting a piece of paper and free drawing/writing. But the past couple weeks during math they write in their math journal, in writing they write another story, and soon in reading they will be busy reading books! So it won't be a problem once everything is settled in.

13. Buttons

Buttons Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

The first few weeks I let them make words/ play with playdough, read a book from our shelf (the only ones they can take right now) or draw/write on scrap paper from the bin. Later on in the year, I have them play math games when they are finished in the morning, and read/write when they are finished in the afternoon.