Transitioning into a new school. Advice?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rhesus, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 7, 2014

I've happily accepted a position at a new high school that will be much closer to home than my current gig. I'm replacing a retiree, and I'll be the only teacher of my subject.

I am a pretty experienced, seasoned teacher at this point, but it has been awhile since I've started at a new school and I am a little jittery. Any advice for starting off right as the new guy?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 8, 2014

Rhesus, you'll be fine! Be friendly, receptive, smile a lot, & don't talk about your old school very much. I've been with newbies before where they couldn't leave their old school behind and some teachers really used it as a gossip attack behind her back.

Find the school's junk room to get book cases & other stuff you might need.

Good luck, make your presence be so delightful, that you're missed when you're not there.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2014

Congrats on the new position. With the long hours (at home and at school) a short commute is always a great thing. Does your new school have a website?If so poke around and check out individual teacher websites. That will be a good way to get to know names and some in before meeting people which will help make connections.