Transitional Activities for daycare - kindergarten?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ecross1983, Mar 25, 2008.

1. ecross1983

ecross1983 Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

What are some transitional activities that you use?

For example: When you blink the lights that tells the children it is time to clean up.

I am looking for some ideas on what other teachers are using. Thanks.

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 25, 2008

When I taught kinder, I used a cooking timer for an activity - whatever it was they had until it "ding"ed - then they knew it was time to clean up. I also used a bell for when I needed their attention - they knew to look up at me when I "ding"ed it. For quickness (like cleaning up) I used a sand timer & the student could SEE how much time they had.

I also would say in a quiet voice "If you can hear my voice, clap once (put your hands on your head, etc.)" and I'd know who was paying attention right away.

4. leannwade

leannwade Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

I will say "I said a boom chicka boom, uh huh, oh yeah, one more time." They think it's funny, because I change my voice range. They repeat it after me. I'll get loud sometimes, and so will they. However, when I want them quiet, I will use a whisper voice.
    I will sometimes say "1, 2, 3 all eyes on me please."
    It is also a good idea to have them say the pledge each morning with a moment of silence. We have just started that.
    At the beginning of the year I would play the Barney "Clean up" song when it was clean up time. However, now I just say "clean up" and they do it! :)
    Hope this helps somewhat.

5. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Mar 29, 2008

I play a xylophone scale, first up, then down. The students seem to hear the notes when they don't pick up on voice cues as well. Sometimes they just see me headed towards the shelf where the xylophone is stored & start picking up!

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Mar 30, 2008

I color coded my classroom clock. Each hand is a different color. I tell them when the blue hand is on the 5 it's time to be done. They can glance at the clock to see how much closer the hand has gotten. I have done the hour, minute and second hands in different colors that are easily seen. I jsut took off the plastic cover from the clock face and cut thin strips of colored paper which I glued witha glue stick onto the hands. I generally use red, blue and yellow, but sometimes I leave the minute hand black becasue its so skinny!

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Mar 30, 2008

For lining up I like to do something like "if your shirt is red you can line up" or if we've been working on addresses and phone numbers or parents names I will use that info, for example,"if your dad's name is joe line up" If your phone number is 111-222-3456 line up. to keep them quiet in the hallway it's things like "Teacher's meeting has begun . . . . . ." or let's see if we can sneak past the _______classroom and be so quiet they don't even know we are here. they like this one because it's kind of like a spy game!

8. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Mar 31, 2008

I use a clap system so I can use it outside of the classroom. I do it first "clap, clap, clapclapclap" and they echo it. They know to freeze and listen for directions. It works very well. :)

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 3, 2008

One thing I do when we need to wait patiently I do a 'follow the leader" type of game-- the main rule is I am the leader. This can be doen sitting or standing so it works anywhere and since i am the leader i can regulate how loud it gets. I might clap my hands for a bit, then switch to rubbing my belly or slapping my knees, making funny faces or whatever, it helps keep them occupied while reinforcing their observation skills.

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 3, 2008

One of the most difficult transitions for my children is getting up from nap. Our nap time is from 1-3 and my 3 -year olds are usually asleep by 1;15 at the latest. However, we are a busy group and they sleep well. some of them have a hard time waking up quickly, so instead of waitng til 3 to turn on the lights, I start gradually. at 2:45 I start opening the shades, then at 2:50-2:55 I turn on the lights, turn off the music and announce it's time to wake up. This allows the children who ahve a difficult time getting up to have a more gradual transition to waking up. At 3 I turn on "the wiggles" music cd. and the children love to try to beat the song "Fruit Salad" when putting theri nap things away.