Transition Time

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by kharris99, Sep 30, 2004.

1. kharris99

kharris99 Guest

Sep 30, 2004

I am in my first year of teaching First Grade. I have switched from Second to First. I need help getting these "so little children" :eek: from one place to another and one task to another without chaos happening. Any Suggestions? :confused: Thanks!!

3. Jeri Dawn M

Jeri Dawn M Rookie

Oct 5, 2004

How is it going? Giving warning helps, "Five minutes until we clean up and line up." Also, sing-song directions. Singing, "Everybody line up, line up" perks their attention and puts a positive tone to tasks ahead. Be very clear about what you want them to do. Keep it simple. Make them stop and listen to the directions (only one or two at a time), repeat, even ask them what they are going to do, then let them do it at the sound of a bell or a clap of your hands. Good luck.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 5, 2004

Practice routines over and over... don't be afraid to have them sit down and practice again... or have a few kids who are doing to correctly "model" for the rest of the class whatever it is (walking in a straight line, lining up quietly, turning in papers, whatever it is!)

Once they know exactly what they're supposed to do, it'll go smoother for you. :)

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Oct 5, 2004

6. Oct 19, 2004

Hi there! I taught first grade for four years. Now I'm in second and love it just as much (maybe even more!) Anyway, I made up a song to get the students' attention when I needed them to clean up or just listen to directions. It is sung to the tune of "ARE YOU SLEEPING". Here's how it goes and they love to sing it; it gets their attention immediately.

STOP, LOOK, AND LISTEN
    STOP, LOOK, AND LISTEN
    CAREFULLY
    CAREFULLY
    PLEASE STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING
    PLEASE STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING
    LOOK AT ME
    LOOK AT ME

I also taught my students other chants to get their attention for transition time such as:

GOOD LISTENERS'
    EYES ARE WATCHING (point to eyes)
    EARS ARE LISTENING (point to ears)
    MOUTHS ARE CLOSED (finger on lips)
    HANDS ARE STILL (fold hands in front of you)

1 2 3
    EYES ON ME
    4 5 6
    FINGERS ON LIPS
    (THEY REPEAT/ECHO THIS AFTER ME)

GOOD LUCK! =)

7. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Nov 4, 2004

Transition

Say, Okay guys. Please put away everything and get ready to listen. The quietest oersoon gets a sucker or peice of candy (once everyone in the class gets at least one piece of candy, stop.) Tell them, guys you are big now. You should be able to do. Hope i help. Thanks, Hannah.