transition songs

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by tb33, Oct 23, 2010.

1. tb33

tb33 Rookie

Oct 23, 2010

So I'll be starting my practicum in a kindergarten class and I'd like to build up my catalogue of songs. What is your favourite clean up songs, line up songs etc.
    Also do you have tips for movement breaks, moving kids from activity to activity, anything that can help me?
    Thanks

3. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Oct 24, 2010

One thing that I do that seems to really work is sing a familiar song 3 times. Right now I am using "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes." I just start singing the song in a normal voice. The kids that are already done cleaning up join in with me. We then sing it a second time, but in a softer voice. Finally, we sing it in a super quiet voice where you only see our mouths moving and our hands doing the song's motions. The kids know that they should be cleaned up by the time the song has been done 3 times. Because we keep getting quieter each time we sing, the class is also already quiet and ready to go for the next activity.

I also do alot of rhythm clapping. When we are getting too loud or aren't paying attention, I will do a rhythm (Ex: clap, clap, snap, snap). The kids then have to repeat that clapping pattern to me. We will do a few more different ones until I feel we are ready. The kids are so busy clapping that they automatically get quiet and refocus. Sometimes I will add other movements into the rhythm (stomping feet, swaying arms back and forth etc..) the kids love doing these.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 28, 2010

Something I do that really, REALLY gets their attention is quietly sing a MADE up song when we line up or need them to be quiet quickly... this works like a CHARM. For example, when it's time for lunch and the line is rambunctious, I will start singing (to the tune of If You're Happy and You Know It), 'If you're ready for lunch, voices, off, If you're ready for lunch, voices off, If you're ready for lunch and you really wanna eat, If you're ready for lunch, voice off' - you can make up ANY song to fit ANY occasion and they actually love getting quiet and listening to see what words you're going to say. :)

5. Laurie12820

Laurie12820 Rookie

Oct 28, 2010

My co-worker made this up on a whim a few weeks ago. She sings this to initiate clean up time. It is sung to the tune of "Frere Jaques". She sings the phrase, the students sing the echo phrase.

"It is clean up time, (It is clean up time),
    Can't you see?, (Can't you see?),
    We are busy cleaning, (We are busy cleaning),
    Quietly, (Quietly)."

6. SophieLou

SophieLou Rookie

Nov 2, 2010

I too sing a song to the tune of Frere Jaques to get the kids attention. I sing,
    "Thank you (Sally), thank you (Billy),
    thank you (Sam), thank you (John)
    They are sitting quietly, they are sitting quietly
    Yes they are, yes they are!"

They get ready to listen and eagerly anticipate hearing their name as I sing.. sometimes I sing the song several times so more kids get to hear their name.. and the funny thing is, it never gets old!! It works everytime!!