Transition ideas for hallway

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by forkids, Jun 27, 2007.

1. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

Does anyone have good method for keeping Pre-k(4-5's) students quiet while waiting in the hallway? I keep waiting to a minimum, but still have to pull out all my tricks to keep some of them quiet for that few minutes. We are in a public school with other grades in the hallway where we go to the bathroom, so we must be quiet.

3. jarcherry

jarcherry Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

One really cool thing I have seen done in Kg. is to teach the children simple movements that represent the sound each letter of the alphabet makes. For Example: A makes that aaahhh sound, like in the start of aaaahhhh-pple. The sign that goes along with that could be a balled up fist like you were taking a bite out of your own apple. You say the letter, and as the kids walk they practice the sounds each letter makes by remembering the sign that goes with it. We had to do this in one of my classes in college, and it really wasnt that hard, once you got a hang of it. This way the kids are busy, not fighting or yelling, and are still learning.

Hope this helps, I know its a little old for your kids.
    -----
    Just thought of something else, you call out numbers (1-10) and the kids raise their hands over their head to show the answer. You say 6, they raise both hands!!

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 27, 2007

We have the very same situation forkids. Our bathroom is waaaaay down the hallway and it is right next to the Even Start Nursery so sometimes they are napping and we have to be quiet while waiting for the bathroom:eek: Some things that we and others in our building have tried are:

1. Make a ring of cards for each child that focus on a skill they need to practice- colors, shapes, letters, or numbers. They can sit quietly and look at their cards and practice while waiting.
    2. Put the ABC's on the wall where they will be waiting- if they are sitting post it at eye level there and if they are standing post it at that eye level. Then, while they are waiting they can look at or even touch them. I thought that maybe this year I would put big letter outlines and glue pictures of things that start with that letter inside each one then it would be kind of like an eye-spy game.
    3. Sing (whisper voices) favorite fingerplays- this one always works for me.

5. ladybuglady

ladybuglady Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

Have them "catch a bubble" with their mouths and tell them to try and not "pop the bubble" and make ducktails with their hands behind their backs. If they followed directions then give them a small sticker on a chart when you get back to the room. This is what the Prek teacher does at our school and it seems to work really well.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 27, 2007

http://www.preschooleducation.com/stransition.shtml

Quiet Down Song added 11-6-01 Submitted by: Laura Holloway

Sung to: "If You're Happy and You Know It"

Put your finger over your lip like this,
    Put your finger over your lip like this
    Close your mouth with a zip,
    Put your finger over your lip,
    Put your finger over your lip like this.
    Shhhhhhhhhhhh

I like to do hand motions with this song.

---------

7. roadrunner

roadrunner Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

I do the same with ring cards for colors, shapes, numbers, letter knowledge, etc. I also do silent "Simon says." I start with my hands wiggling above my head. They know that is the signal for the game. I have several silient signals that I teach them to use to get their attention so I won't have to call them. It works great and it really impresses other teachers that I can get their attention so quickly.

8. skerns

skerns Companion

Jun 30, 2007

ideas for hallways

I teach my 4 year old the alphabet in sign language and we practice in the hall. I also teach them the signs for line up, sit down, stand up, hungry, restroom and many more. We sing in sign language too. Jesus loves me and finger plays with no words. They love it. And they never get tired of doing the same things over again. Hope this helps.

9. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

If they are sitting, you could play "The Bell Game". Take a small hand held bell and pass it down the line without ringing it. They should set it carefully in front of the next person without talking.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2007

Actually it is a part of preschool programs that all teachers must master. If you think about it, every time you leave an activity that is a transition!

Practice in the classroom, and find what works well. Take the quiet transitions outside, and leave the noisy ones inside. The most important thing they must learn is to get up from the rug or seats, line up, and stand there for a few minutes. You can do this anywhere, in the hall, outside, yellow group, everyone wearing red, white, black shoes, boys first then girls...as one teacher helps the other group inside the bathroom.

They need these skills for safety. You have to practice fire drills, walking up and down steps, (for field trips) climbing out of a bus (bus safety) and staying with the group. To prepare for this, my favorite transition song is Head and Shoulders. You can do this for at least 15 minutes by varying your game.

sing it all the way thru !!!
    eyes, and ears and mouth and nose!
    Head and Shoulders Knees and Toes!

First sing the song completely, but use a soft voice.
    Next round, do it really slow
    Next round, do it real fast (not good for outside..but they need practice distinguishing fast vs slow)
    Pick a child to be leader, and hold him in front of you. They love this attention, (good for busybodies!) Hold up their arms as you do movements!
    Here is the best one, do it without the words!
    From this point on, you can get them to do anything without the words, because they have learned to look at you, and follow your lead.

You will amaze your co-teachers when you can send a group down the hall from around the corner by just holding up 2 fingers! You can make a stop sign, red on front/green on back. Hold this up, and teach them to proudly walk in line, and freeze when you reverse your sign.

The elem teachers will despise you!!!

Take out any flash cards you made/brought/class provided and use them while waiting. The best ones are name cards. Even by the end of year, older children are still struggling with their last name. Name cards are great because you can end scuffles over "I was first!", by simply holding up a name card, which tells them who should be line leader.

Make sure you have all of them, and a few extras as we know things get feet! Put yourself and co-teacher in there too! And don't forget to use the absent kids as well. Some people don't do this. I think you should because it helps with print awareness, and self-esteem. They will quickly learn, "Jayla is not here!"

My favorite (but military) speech for leaving the room goes like this:

My hands I put behind my back
    I'm standing straight and tall
    My eyes are looking straight ahead
    I'm ready for the hall!

a softer approach would be:
    Give ourselves a hug
    and walk quitely down the hall

It's too hard to resist hugging yourself!
    You can walk to downtown, hugging yourself!

11. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Jul 3, 2007

Sometimes while we are waiting we see how high we can count (using soft voices). When our bus is late the students inform the driver how many numbers late they are.:eek:

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

I use to ask my K's to put marshmallow shoes on & one in their mouth!!!