transition help needed !!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by go lizzy go, Sep 12, 2006.

1. go lizzy go

go lizzy go Rookie

Sep 12, 2006

:confused:
    Hi, I need some ideas on how to make the transitions work easier for a boy in kindergarten. He has trouble getting from recess back into the class routine. He likes to go off on his own while lessons are being taught in circle time. He is very chatty and disruptive. Everything, (ie.. changing outdoor shoes to indoor shoes after recess, wearing his sweater outside when chilly, etc..) is a challenge. Any IDEAS out there?????

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 12, 2006

do you have a little chant you say when switching from one thing to another?

4. go lizzy go

go lizzy go Rookie

Sep 12, 2006

No, I have just started to work with him and I need ideas on how to help him. I have never worked with a child this age before. I usually work with Grade 3 and up.
    Your chant sounds great, how do I do it?

5. herins

herins Companion

Sep 12, 2006

Maybe a visual schedule would help? Also, remind him that a change is coming (in 2 minutes we're changing for recess). During circle time, he might benefit from a small fidget toy and a cushion (wedge). If you have a visual timer and show him how long he will be sitting, he can see that it won't be forever.

Also, lots and lots of positive reinforcement for tasks done well (including putting his shoes on).

Good luck!